[SOLVED] Is now the right time to automate my home?

Jul 7, 2020
I would really enjoy the benefits of having an automated smart home, but I am worried about potential security vulnerabilities. Does anyone have thoughts on this or recommendations?

Solution
Automation and IoT in my house:

Front door - keypad entry. No phone connectivity, you must physically enter the code. Multiple 4 digit codes available. Automatic lock after 30 seconds. Alarm if you band it too hard.

Upstairs hallway light 2x - Battery powered motion detection, intensity of a "bright nightlight".

Garage lighting - Hard wired motion activated shop light (LED)
Laundry room lighting - Hard wired motion activated shop light (LED)
Attic - Hard wired motion activated shop light (LED)

Entertainment - Logitech Harmony Hub. Speaks to and controls the TV, 7.2 Sony receiver, FiOS set top box. Controlled by the included remote and app on a tablet or phone

4x outdoor PoE security cameras - Hardwired, speak to their own DVR...

Ralston18

Titan
Is there a specific problem or concern?

What automation, if any, do you have now?

Consider ROI: "Return on Investment" both functionally and financially.

What do you specifically want to automate? What are the desired/anticipated benefits?

Compatibilities with existing automation? Do you have computers, a home network, pre-wiring?

Budget?

Priorities? Options?

Work out an overall plan and then specific questions regarding that plan can be addressed.

Reactions: 9georg
Any smart network wired into a home and centrally controlled from a smartphone or laptop is only as safe as its weakest link. That weakest link could be a smart light switch connected to the network that has no built-in security. The hacker can use access to control that light switch to also turn off your security locks on your doors and windows. It's a matter of being very careful what products you choose to use from the uncontrolled Internet of Things (IoT) technology market. New devices appear on the IoT market every day and few are built with a security-first frame of mind. I would have second thoughts about automating my home.

USAFRet

Titan
Automation and IoT in my house:

Front door - keypad entry. No phone connectivity, you must physically enter the code. Multiple 4 digit codes available. Automatic lock after 30 seconds. Alarm if you band it too hard.

Upstairs hallway light 2x - Battery powered motion detection, intensity of a "bright nightlight".

Garage lighting - Hard wired motion activated shop light (LED)
Laundry room lighting - Hard wired motion activated shop light (LED)
Attic - Hard wired motion activated shop light (LED)

Entertainment - Logitech Harmony Hub. Speaks to and controls the TV, 7.2 Sony receiver, FiOS set top box. Controlled by the included remote and app on a tablet or phone

4x outdoor PoE security cameras - Hardwired, speak to their own DVR and attached 15 year old monitor. Only ethernet enabled if I physically plug in the Cat5e, like if I were to go on vacation, and open the port through the router firewall.

My Alexa/EchoDot/Ring is 100% secure. It lives on the warehouse shelf at the mothership, unpurchased.

What automation are you looking for? The "S" in IoT stands for Security.

Solution
Navy ret. to USAF ret. your just one of the few enlightened people that avoid automating and networking the system. Many others like smartphone connectivity which means you must have a network that is controlled through your router, which is nothing more than a computer. A recent post on the Tom's Guide website, https://www.tomsguide.com/us/home-router-security,news-19245.html is very clear about the dangers. Even if you move up one level of sophistication to putting a programmable logic controller (PLC) in the network as the central control point, you're still at risk, https://www.pdfsupply.com/blog/inde...-residential-automation-and-digital-security/ it's a gamble to automate, at least in the near term. Better stuff is on the way.

Jul 7, 2020
Thank you all for your responses! I was looking into automating temperature control, indoor/outdoor lights, and home security. I haven't looked into the cost/benefit calculation extensively yet, as I wanted to get some feedback on whether it is safe in the first place. It seems I should be looking for non-IoT devices at the moment or that I should just wait until security is more of a priority.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm very much a fan of each item doing its own thing. Set once and be done.

Temperature control? The non-WiFi thermostat does that by itself. Temps up and down at different times of the day, different for every day if needed.

Hot water heater. One I bought and installed a couple of years ago is WiFi capable. Almost the least expensive one I could find. I have zero need to adjust/monitor the temp all the time. Set it once at 120F, and leave it. It has only 2 fail modes - It leaks, or it no longer heats. Both of which would be mostly readily apparent without continuous monitoring.

Outdoor lights? Solar, battery, or plug in. On at dusk, or motion detection.

Security cameras, as above.
I tried the motion detection notification. Notoriously hard to get right. Each passing cloud, neighbors bushes waving in the breeze. Car headlights passing at night. And of course the little spider that decides to spin her web across the front of the lens housing. 4 hours of notifications on that.

Safety - There are FAR too many instances of developer back doors left in these things. Hard coded username/password. On purpose, incompetent or just lazy devs.