Is NT 4 compatible with latest Dell models?

Is it possible to install Windows NT 4 on the latest Dell hardware?

Thanks.

Pretty unlikely, since it is unsupported.

I would try the Optiplex line and see if Dell will still sell it with NT 4.

Just curious. Why?

Tom
"DLN" <dln@dln.invalid> wrote in message
> Is it possible to install Windows NT 4 on the latest Dell hardware?
>
> Thanks.

If you intend to run NT4 on a late model Dell computer, you need to do pretty
much the same due diligence about hardware support that one has to do when
considering running a newer operating system on an older computer. And, as
another posting has noted, you have to be prepared to live without Dell support
and just about no support from Micro$oft.

The "Due diligence"...

1. Determine each and every chipset in the Dell system.
2. For each and every chipset, determine that the chipset manufacturer has NT
4.0 drivers available. For example, most Intel chipsets, even the recent ones,
have drivers that install way back on NT 4.0 and Win 98SE.
3. You'll need to BUY a kit to patch up NT 4.0 to provide USB support, because
native USB support was never provided by Micro$oft for NT..

The above is a lot of grunt work, and you still may find yourself lacking NT 4.0
drivers for something or other.

Honestly, if your desire to use NT 4.0 has to do with the fact that you are put
off by Windows XP, then consider Windows 2000 Pro. If your desire to use NT 4.0
is tied to existing expensive NT 4.0 server licenses already paid for, using NT
4.0 on a newer Dell may prove to be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:52:02 -0500, DLN <dln@dln.invalid> wrote:

>Is it possible to install Windows NT 4 on the latest Dell hardware?
>
>Thanks.

We saw problems at work about 2 years ago with the network guys tried to
install W2K Pro on a new Dell Laptop that shipped with XP. At that time,
they did not support XP on the LAN. It was never happy due to internals that
didn't work under W2K so they eventually installed XP and began to convert
all 3000+ desktops to XP.

YMMV

[deleteions]
> Honestly, if your desire to use NT 4.0 has to do with the fact that you
are put
> off by Windows XP, then consider Windows 2000 Pro. If your desire to use
NT 4.0
> is tied to existing expensive NT 4.0 server licenses already paid for,
using NT
> 4.0 on a newer Dell may prove to be penny-wise and pound-foolish.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:52:02 -0500, DLN <dln@dln.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to install Windows NT 4 on the latest Dell hardware?
> >
> >Thanks.

Makes you wonder if some forces of collusion are not at work to force people to
XP?

If one is hell-bent on running Windows 2000 Pro on a newer laptop, it would
probably require a lot of research to scare up all the drivers required, same as
if one would try to run Windows 2000 Server on a newer server boxs.

Miost desktop systems now pretty much use mainstream chipsets for which Windows
2000 drivers can be found. But servers and laptops use off-the-beaten path
chipsets for various reasons, and a newer off-the-beaten path chipset may simply
not have a driver for the older Windows 2000... Ben Myers