[SOLVED] Is Nvidia Auto OC safe?

Nov 25, 2020
i have a EVGA rtx 2060 SC ultra.
i want to overclock it but since its my first overclock on gpu's i don't want to break anything
i have heard of EVGA precision1x but NVidia seems easier.
CAN I LOWER THE TEMPATURE LIMIT IN NVIDIA AUTO OC TO SOMETHING LOWER LIKE 75? 83c seems like its gonna get way to hot, i would prefer my card lasting a few years*

current temps max out to 75c with clocks boosting from 1350 to 1950 while gaming. (im not sure why it seems to auto oc) but im wondering if i can make my gpu more powerfull to even out the bottleneck between my i7 9700k @4.9ghz and get more performance overall

overall temps while stress testing
CPU=77c
GPU=75c
cpu cooler=coolermaster ml240l liquid cooler
6 case fans including radiator

Solution
i want to overclock it but since its my first overclock on gpu's i don't want to break anything
CAN I LOWER THE TEMPATURE LIMIT IN NVIDIA AUTO OC TO SOMETHING LOWER LIKE 75? 83c seems like its gonna get way to hot, i would prefer my card lasting a few years*

current temps max out to 75c with clocks boosting from 1350 to 1950 while gaming. (im not sure why it seems to auto oc) but im wondering if i can make my gpu more powerfull to even out the bottleneck between my i7 9700k @4.9ghz and get more performance overall

CPU=77c
GPU=75c
6 case fans including...
Most tools these days use NVIDIA's own scanning API. So it doesn't matter which tool you use.

Putting a temperature limit lower than the default will lower performance, as NVIDIA GPUs are designed to boost as fast as possible until hits a thermal or electrical limit.

Nvidia's GPU Boost 3.0 is a hardware-level feature that auto-OCs the card, that's why you're seeing frequencies at 1950MHz instead of the expected 1755MHz.

When you say Nvidia Auto OC, you're referring to the feature within Nvidia GeForce Experience software?

is 83c bad for long term use?
The card is designed to run that hot for extended periods of time, for at least as long as the warranty lasts.

and will the gpu ever get past that 83c temp limit?
By design? No. Most cards will stop trying to boost at around 80-85C. If it gets hotter than that then it's a sign there's a problem with the cooling on the video card or the computer.

Nov 25, 2020
i didnt try the auto oc yet since i wasn't sure about my temps out of the box but i normaly see my gpu getting to around 2000+rpm at 70c
will lowering temp limit to 80c lower my performance even if i oc?

i didnt try the auto oc yet since i wasn't sure about my temps out of the box but i normaly see my gpu getting to around 2000+rpm at 70c
will lowering temp limit to 80c lower my performance even if i oc?
2000rpm is crazy high. That must make a TON of noise. And all to hit a 70C target? You're being too agressive.

Lowering your temp limit from 70C to 80C????

If it's hitting 83C @ 2000rpm I'd say you've reached the limit of cooling potential on the card. From there you either need to reduce voltages (which reduces power draw & heat output) and/or improve case airflow if you wish to move higher in the frequency department.

Nov 25, 2020
2000rpm is crazy high. That must make a TON of noise. And all to hit a 70C target? You're being too agressive.

its not loud at all i cant even hear it.
i dont have a temp limit right now but im avg around 75c in games max (ultra settings) i will check my fan speeds to make sure i counted wrong
but my gpu sits at 0rpm and sometimes goes to 750rpm for a second when not gaming

Nov 25, 2020

If it's hitting 83C @ 2000rpm I'd say you've reached the limit of cooling potential on the card. From there you either need to reduce voltages (which reduces power draw & heat output) and/or improve case airflow if you wish to move higher in the frequency department.
also i never tuned this card ever since i got it a month ago it always reached low 70s max

is there a way to adjust fan curve to be more aggressive in GeForce experience? i see an automatic preset if i set that to be more agressive will it break my gpu fans overtime?
I'm not sure about GFE, but you can use MSI Afterburner or EVGA Prevision to do it. And running the fans faster will wear them out faster, but I don't know what the life time of those fans are supposed to be anyway. They could last way longer than you'd care about the card.

[2000rpm fans] its not loud at all i cant even hear it.
Take your headphones off? Get your hearing checked?

i dont have a temp limit right now but im avg around 75c in games max (ultra settings) i will check my fan speeds to make sure i counted wrong
But you said your temps were 83C....and you said it was 70C.....which is it?

but my gpu sits at 0rpm and sometimes goes to 750rpm for a second when not gaming
This is normal on modern cards. They don't turn their fans on until temps reach/exceed 55-60C.

Nov 25, 2020
Take your headphones off?

This is normal on modern cards. They don't turn their fans on until temps reach/exceed 55-60C.
even with my headphones off its silent i get avg of low 60-low70c max load while gaming
on nvidia it says that it has a temp limit of 83 if i overclock it

Nov 25, 2020
AVG55c 65c max while playing modern warfare
clock speeds max out at 1980mhz
7001mhz
1830mhz
which are a huge increase from
1365mhz
7001mhz
and 1275mhz
**current 1175rpm
minimum 0rpm
max 2110rpm
i think it boosts fan speed for a split second (like the spikes from 0-750rpm) but its super silent (my keyboard with brown switches is 2x louder than my pc)

this is with no mods done to the card (no oc ect)

Nov 25, 2020
Take your headphones off? Get your hearing checked?

im 17 years of age and have good hearing, i can hear my case fans that are faint and not once can i hear my gpu only if i am playing in 1440p itsa little loud.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

CPU=77c
GPU=75c
6 case fans including radiator
Your card is overclocked from the factory leave it alone. Their not going to be much overclocking room and your not going to get much more FPS if you got 5% more FPS and you had 100 you just got 105 not worth it.

It auto overclocks because that is the way it's made slow when not needed and boost up when needed.

Solution