Question Is overclocking CPU worth it to day to day use?

Jul 17, 2024
Hi I have an I5 8600k + Asrock Z370 Taichi + Seasonic 750w Gold + NZXT x62 AIO. I dont use the PC for gaming this last time, and I Recently overclock the 8600k from 3600mhz stock to 4600mhz ( I use a guide from a video so I put all cores at 46, voltage at offset 50) and the temps and VCORE at Windows was good at stress test. My question is : Is worth to have the CPU all time at 4600mhz to web browse, see videos, open programs, etc or I dont see a diferrent in speed up my PC? I want to be sure that the oc is worth it and is done good. Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Is worth to have the CPU all time at 4600mhz to web browse, see videos, open programs, etc or I dont see a diferrent in speed up my PC? I want to be sure that the oc is worth it and is done good. Thanks
Do you see an actual performance benefit?
If not, maybe not.

In all your other uses (games, whatever), do you see an actual performance benefit?
If so, how much?

Jul 17, 2024
Do you see an actual performance benefit?
If not, maybe not.

In all your other uses (games, whatever), do you see an actual performance benefit?
If so, how much?
Really I dont game it, I use it for home personal use, so I dont see really improve but have to continúe testing... Is hard to say if i note performance benefit in these kind of things

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Intel 8th Gen CPUs have turbo boost anyway, which will transiently ‘overclock’ based upon your task load anyway - particularly with the tasks you mentioned.

Keeping it at 4600MHz all the time is like driving everywhere full throttle. You can do it, but it’s not very efficient and you don’t necessarily get where you want faster.

Reactions: DrakenCoral
Jul 17, 2024
So is best to go stock for the lifespan of the CPU and my system u say? And if i overclock but set that the CPU goes to stock and only when full when is need? Idk if is possible to do this with power settings

USAFRet

Titan
So is best to go stock for the lifespan of the CPU and my system u say? And if i overclock but set that the CPU goes to stock and only when full when is need? Idk if is possible to do this with power settings
Set everything back to stock.
Let the system do what it thinks it needs to do.

See if you notice any actual performance difference over how you have it now.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Just leave it at stock settings. CPU and BIOS have something called PL2, PL1, and Tau - which dictates auto turbo power limits and duration.

You can change the boost multiplier behavior, but setting a static clockspeed is never a good route anymore.

Example: my current system is setup to have a 43x multiplier when up to 2 cores are under load, otherwise 42x multiplier. This allows it to clock down to 800Mhz (Intel base) when not under load, but boost up to 4.2/4.3Ghz when loaded (stock is 3.7/4.0)

Realistically though at this point in your system's lifetime I'm not sure you'd notice the difference unless you were doing something that stressed the CPU.

From personal experience, Most CPU's from AMD's Ryzen 3000 series and up and Intel's 10th gen and up, not really worth it with some exceptions though.

If your not gaming with a CPU like yours, no, you are just making it run hot, in return warming up the room a little more, more power draw, it will be a little harder on the motherboard and PSU, You wont notice any difference with general web browsing or watching video or even using the desktop environment, In fact it would probably be the same experience if you were to under clock and under volt, might even be better as the CPU fan wont have to ramp up.

If you game or use something that can take leverage of said OC then hey, go for it, epically on that CPU.

Learning how to OC and what settings do is fun, epically if its something you want to do later on.

Jul 17, 2024
From personal experience, Most CPU's from AMD's Ryzen 3000 series and up and Intel's 10th gen and up, not really worth it with some exceptions though.

If your not gaming with a CPU like yours, no, you are just making it run hot, in return warming up the room a little more, more power draw, it will be a little harder on the motherboard and PSU, You wont notice any difference with general web browsing or watching video or even using the desktop environment, In fact it would probably be the same experience if you were to under clock and under volt, might even be better as the CPU fan wont have to ramp up.

If you game or use something that can take leverage of said OC then hey, go for it, epically on that CPU.

Learning how to OC and what settings do is fun, epically if its something you want to do later on.
Thanks! I let all at stock... But now i see that the CPU is at 4000/4100mhz all the time and not 3600mhz. I have the max performance energy mode at Windows 11. I should use it this way?

Jul 17, 2024
You can change the boost multiplier behavior, but setting a static clockspeed is never a good route anymore.

Example: my current system is setup to have a 43x multiplier when up to 2 cores are under load, otherwise 42x multiplier. This allows it to clock down to 800Mhz (Intel base) when not under load, but boost up to 4.2/4.3Ghz when loaded (stock is 3.7/4.0)

Realistically though at this point in your system's lifetime I'm not sure you'd notice the difference unless you were doing something that stressed the CPU.
Thanks I answer to the other guy but I will answer to you too

Thanks! I let all at stock... But now i see that the CPU is at 4000/4100mhz all the time and not 3600mhz. I have the max performance energy mode at Windows 11. I should use it this way?
In theory you should be able to set it to balanced and not lose any performance. The higher modes tend to limit the boost behavior and prioritize maximum boost: I'm running Win10 but balanced usually has my cores around 1.2Ghz when at the desktop and just a browser up and High Performance has them 4.2Ghz with a few dips down.