Is plugging a power strip into a UPS necessarily a fire hazard?

Apr 23, 2018
Just to get this out of the way: I know it can be a fire hazard. But my question is really whether plugging a power strip into a UPS is intrinsically a fire hazard.

My understanding of what makes it a fire hazard is simply that by adding additional outlet, one makes it easier to potentially overload the UPS by plugging in more devices. I would not call this necessarily becoming a fire hazard, as basic conscientiousness of not plugging in too many devices eliminates the risk. On the other hand, if the risk is some interaction between the two devices - perhaps if they are both surged protected - then that is a risk I cannot manage myself, which would make it intrinsically a fire hazard, just for existing.

Just for context: I'm not looking to add a power strip to my UPS to give me additional outlets, I'm essentially just trying to move some of my outlets from UPS to a power strip mounted under my desk to dispense with some of the extra cables I have making a rat's nest back there. My PC would continue to be plugged into the UPS directly, while my monitors, Mac Mini, and 'switcher' between the Mac and the PC would be plugged into the power strip. As an additional measure of protection I was considering getting some of those childproof plastic outlet covers and covering the unused UPS outlets.

Given the context, is plugging a power strip into my UPS still risky, or a fire hazard?

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice!

Ralston18

Titan
Same difference.

The possibility of an overload is still present.

Plus many of those power strips tend to be made as inexpensively as possible. Would not trust them for much of anything much less expensive electronic devices. With or without UL approval. Plus the risk of counterfeit products.....

If at all possible consider having an additional circuit run to the desired work area. Maybe a quad outlet or a pair of slightly separated duplex outlets to help keep the plugs organized.

Add up the wattages needed for all devices and plan accordingly. Go with "worse case" that being all devices at max power.

I understand the desire to have neat wiring etc. Live in an older home with limited outlets and aluminum wiring..... Quite problematic.

However there are new products and methods that meet code and may well address your problems.

Google "how to add wall outlets", get some ideas, and contact an electrician.