[SOLVED] Is putting a lot of thermal paste on cpu bad?

tsmyello

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
Hi..
I bought a cooler master thermal paste for my ryzen 5 3600, but I put a lot of it in, and the temp is almost the same as before.
Is it because I put a lot of thermal paste or what? Now the weather is too hot in my place so I have to do something to solve this...
Note: when I stress test my cpy 100% load I get 94c, And while playing AAA games it goes around 75c to 86c
Thank you

Solution
With Intels and older Ryzen and FX etc, the actual die is a small single chunk of silicon directly in the center of the IHS cover. So a decent sized blob in the middle, with firm but even pressure applied by the heatsink install was perfect, covered everything, even if it just left a circle and didn't quite reach the edges/corners.

That doesn't work for later Ryzen or GPU as Ryzens use 3-6 dies under the IHS, spread out to better spread heat and prevent buildup and transfer to the neighboring chips. This puts the chips very close to edges/corners. An X pattern or better yet, a credit card/spatula spread to cover the entire IHS is preferable to pea-blob methods, this ensures all the edges/corners are covered.

Of course if you do do a...
D

Deleted member 2720853

Too much > too little. Any excess paste will be squeezed out by the cooler when tightening the screws. The only thing you are doing by applying too much paste, is make a mess around your CPU socket. It won't affect temps. This debate is age old already.

Reactions: Herr B and Dj0gany

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With Intels and older Ryzen and FX etc, the actual die is a small single chunk of silicon directly in the center of the IHS cover. So a decent sized blob in the middle, with firm but even pressure applied by the heatsink install was perfect, covered everything, even if it just left a circle and didn't quite reach the edges/corners.

That doesn't work for later Ryzen or GPU as Ryzens use 3-6 dies under the IHS, spread out to better spread heat and prevent buildup and transfer to the neighboring chips. This puts the chips very close to edges/corners. An X pattern or better yet, a credit card/spatula spread to cover the entire IHS is preferable to pea-blob methods, this ensures all the edges/corners are covered.

Of course if you do do a pea-blob method and use a kidney-bean sized blob, you'll get the same coverage as spatula, but you'll also get plenty of seepage where the paste is squeezed out the sides like too much jam in a pb&j sandwich.

Too much paste doesn't hurt anything except in 2 occasions. If using an electrically conductive paste or if you decide to try and pull the cpu out of the socket before cleaning up the mess. Then the chances of getting paste in the socket skyrocket, and that can be an issue.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

My pea sized dot of NT-H2 under a NH-D15 ensured that all corners are covered.

b0wHzHB.png

I don't even bother with anything else. 5 dots ended up spreading worse.

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Hi..
I bought a cooler master thermal paste for my ryzen 5 3600, but I put a lot of it in, and the temp is almost the same as before.
Is it because I put a lot of thermal paste or what? Now the weather is too hot in my place so I have to do something to solve this...
Note: when I stress test my cpy 100% load I get 94c, And while playing AAA games it goes around 75c to 86c
Thank you
Switching thermal paste will not give you any considerable advantage in any real world scenario.

Generally you try to keep the film of thermal paste as thin as possible because the thermal paste conducts the heat worse than the copper / aluminium / metal. Too little thermal paste though and you'll have problems getting the heat away from the chip.

From my experience it is not really bad for the performance to apply much thermal paste. The pressure of the cooler will bring it to a decent (thin) enough thickness but it will press it out the sides so youll now have a huge mess around your cpu/socket.

Last edited: