Is raid 0 helpfull in games and general computing

uriah

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
Hello,
I have a WD 300 G Velocirapter, WD 500 black and a 2 T Samsung. I can pick up the 300 for $95, the 500 for $55 and use either in raid 0. I can not afford a 256 gig SSD and do not want a 128 gig.

Basically I am wondering how much improvement I will see if I set up either as raid 0 and if its worth the extra $50 to get another raptor over the 500 black.

Asrock z68 f4 -I 7 2600k 16 gigs Corsair 1600 dominator

RAID-0 can potentially improve transfer rates, but it can't improve access times. So it's good for applications that need to read or write a few big files at a time, but it doesn't really help much when you need to read or write a lot of little files at once.

In practical terms, that means RAID-0 won't significantly speed up tasks like booting the system or starting programs (that's where SSDs really shine), but it will speed up things like large file copies.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Personally I think the raptor is a waste. I used them until I bought a 128gb ssd and since then my raptors been sitting in the closet. An ssd is so much faster than a raptor I don't see the point in paying their premium. If you need space, buy the 7200 rpm drives. If you want speed, save up for an ssd.

RAID-0 can potentially improve transfer rates, but it can't improve access times. So it's good for applications that need to read or write a few big files at a time, but it doesn't really help much when you need to read or write a lot of little files at once.

In practical terms, that means RAID-0 won't significantly speed up tasks like booting the system or starting programs (that's where SSDs really shine), but it will speed up things like large file copies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY