[SOLVED] Is rat urine on GPU repairable?

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
I have a dead GPU from mice deficating and most likely urinating on it. Is it still repairable if I bring it to a shop that fixes GPU's? Unfortunately, I lost the receipt so I can't claim warranty.

Solution
You will need to remove the backplate and possibly the whole heatsink to assess the amount of damage. Liquids can travel far from the point of contact through capillary action wicking it away.

InvalidError

Titan
The repairability is heavily dependent on what failed, where, how and how badly.

If you look at iPad Rehab and Rossmann channels on YT, those guys can repair some quite heavily damaged boards as long as the failure isn't 12V/16V/20V/52V going to CPU/GPU/etc.

ANXsucks

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2016
The repairability is heavily dependent on what failed, where, how and how badly.

If you look at iPad Rehab and Rossmann channels on YT, those guys can repair some quite heavily damaged boards as long as the failure isn't 12V/16V/20V/52V going to CPU/GPU/etc.
When I look at the backplate there seems to be no signs of damage except for a bit of rust one some parts. There's no display at all.

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hey Mate,

I'd take apart the gpu, give it a thorough clean using some Iso, then inspect the mobo as well, chances are it spilt over.

I had a similar issue today with my mobo, I was filling my reservoir in my loop and the EK squeezy bag exploded, water/coolant everywhere (PC was off). Although i dried it with a dryer, the PC wouldn't turn on. I thoroughly cleaned through it all and left it to dry for 2-3 hours and it worked again.

TRENDING THREADS