Question Is it recommended to format a new SSD for security reasons before installing Windows ?

Apr 15, 2024
Hi,

I love read and search in this forum to learn more about computers in general and a have a question about security.

I bought a few day a new SSD (Samsung 980 1TB) because i was needing more space. I bought it in a big store in Brazil but when i installed the windows 11 i used the CrystalDiskInfo to check about this SSD and i see 3 power on count. I believe that should be only one.

I don't know if someone used it before but i have fear if exist a possibility there are some malware in this ssd.

When i was installing the Windows 11, there is only unallocated space in disk so i created a partition and clicked install.

My question is...in this case, is recommend for security, format the main partition after to create it?

I have already read that there is a possibility of having data inside an unallocated disk

Sorry about my english, i need to study more.

I would expect one or two power on counts on any device fresh from the factory, because it had to have gone through a QA test at some point. You can't exactly test a finished product and then reset it because the counter should only be allowed to increase.

I mean, it's like saying you expect a new car at a dealership to have 0 miles/kilometers on it. You don't think they would've at least turned it on and drove it around to make sure it worked?

In any case, if you're really paranoid about data living on the disk, then go into the motherboard's UEFI options and perform a secure erase on the disk (it should be in the "Security" menu).

Reactions: Tams_Hardware