Is running my 6600K at 4.8 Ghz at 1.42v safe?

beastlyhax

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I am table at 4.8 Ghz with 1.42v. I also have my ring ratio at 48 and ram oc'd from 2400 to 2666. After 2 hours of AIDA64 my maximum temperature was 59C.

Would you consider this safe for long term use?

Solution
What voltage are you hitting (max) when AVX is present ? I'd expect about 1.55 which is a place I wouldn't want to go.

I don't recommend synthetic tests mainly since been in situations where passed a 2 hour synthetic test and failed an application based benchmark. Run HWiNFO (sensors only) and watch the Vcore max during the 8 minute RoG Real Bench Benchmark.

I haven't used AIDA64 in about 3 years and of course, it matters which test you ran under AIDA, but if can stay under 1.48 - 1.50 instantaneous) or so when AVX is present and 1.40 - 1.41 peak instantaneous when it's not when running RoG Real Bench, I'd have no concerns..

Each extra 0.1 Ghz should require substantially more voltage. The temps seem very low also. If being...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What cooler do you have? 59c is very good for that voltage while running a stress test. At those temps you should be fine. But I have heard that with a lot of 6600k's getting to 4.8ghz requires a large jump in voltage, so if it will run at 4.7ghz stable at 1.35v I would not say 100mhz is worth increasing the voltage to 1.42v. Same deal for my fx cpu weirdly, I can run at 4.7ghz 1.45v stable but to get to 4.8ghz I have to up the voltage to about 1.5v which is not worth it in my opinion, diminishing returns and all.

beastlyhax

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

I have a Cooler Master Seidon 240V. As to lower frequencies, If I want a stable 4.7 then I need a voltage of 1.39

What voltage are you hitting (max) when AVX is present ? I'd expect about 1.55 which is a place I wouldn't want to go.

I don't recommend synthetic tests mainly since been in situations where passed a 2 hour synthetic test and failed an application based benchmark. Run HWiNFO (sensors only) and watch the Vcore max during the 8 minute RoG Real Bench Benchmark.

I haven't used AIDA64 in about 3 years and of course, it matters which test you ran under AIDA, but if can stay under 1.48 - 1.50 instantaneous) or so when AVX is present and 1.40 - 1.41 peak instantaneous when it's not when running RoG Real Bench, I'd have no concerns..

Each extra 0.1 Ghz should require substantially more voltage. The temps seem very low also. If being stressed to the max, that's must be one of those great CPUs that only 2% of us get. But with your cache ratio also at 4.8 that is probably the lowest temp I ever seen.

I would recommend that you set the cache (ring) multiplier to 3 below the CPU multiplier as there is no measurable decrease in performance until it get > than 3 and even then only in certain apps.

http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/rog/RealBench_v2.44.zip
https://www.hwinfo.com/

Solution

Retired_Rambo

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
I have my 6600K running at 4.7GHz at 1.39v. CPU power wattage in the 80s. Max temp is in the mid 60s Cooler used is nothing special- Corsair H80i, fans stayed below 1200rpm.

I've switched the CPU power to adaptive, holding at 1.39v when under 100% load and momentarily peaking to 1.41v.

I've not really put much effort in to reaching 4.7GHz, and i'm sure this chip can be pushed further, but is it worth it?

If you feel you can keep your temps in the 70s under constant load, you can try pushing your chip as JackNaylorPE has suggested, but it comes down to power consumption vs gain, reduction in lifespan of you chip, as well as the capability of your individual chip (silicon lottery).

From what I've read, 1.45v seems to be the absolute extreme constant voltage overclockers seem to be comfortable with, but it really is at your own risk.

If there isn't a real world/ practical reason for you to push your CPU to a cliff edge, I wouldn't risk it.

Be happy with a thermally efficient stable overclock, as most are running between 4.5-4.6GHz OC for a 6600k