Question Is safe do an upgrade of RAM but without parity equality?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
I have an ASUS UX501VW-DS71T, currently with 16GB of RAM.

According with the official documentation at ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW about the RAM is indicated the following:

Memory
DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM, up to 16 GB, OnBoard Memory 8 GB , 1x DIMM socket

Therefore is not possible do an upgrade to 2 x 16 = 32GB. But would be possible do either 8 + 16 = 24GB or 8 + 32 = 40GB. Note: Lets assume is possible do an upgrade until 40 GB

Now, to be honest, since years ago I always have read and listened that is very important have a parity of RAM, I mean: 2 x R such as 2 x 8, 2 x 16, 2 x 32, etc. It for performance reasons and if my memory does not fail me to avoid the OS crash or hang (it mostly for Windows - not sure if Linux can be affected here too)

So far or in this point of time perhaps this situation was fixed due the current improvement of both hardware and software throughout these years.

Question

• Is safe do an upgrade of RAM but without parity equality?

Currently this laptop uses in peace Windows 10 Home, but in the future is considered to moved to Linux when Windows 10 passes to EOF. And well is used VirtualBox to use Linux as Guest

Of course, the goal is do an upgrade of RAM as maximum possible and have the OS and apps running in peace

Lutfij

Titan
Note: Lets assume is possible do an upgrade until 40 GB
Assumptions will be pointless here due to this;
Stated here;

So you should be looking at a 8GB DDR4-2133MHz stick of ram to pair with the 8GB that's soldered onto the laptop's motherboard.

Further reading and image of the internals;

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Assumptions will be pointless here due to this;
Stated here;
Yes, according with the official specs, maximum is 16GB - 1 soldered (8GB) + 8GB removable

So you should be looking at a 8GB DDR4-2133MHz stick of ram to pair with the 8GB that's soldered onto the laptop's motherboard.

The laptop already have 16 GB of RAM, 8 + 8. So my concern is if is possible do: 8 + 16 in peace or more 8 + 32.
Or Do you mean keep 8 + 8 to keep the dual channel?

About your second link:

It indicates:

Memory
23.9 GB, DDR4-2132, 1063.8 MHz, 15-15-15-36, Dual-Channel (8 GB integrated)
Where appears 23.9GB (I am assuming it is the max capacity) and appears explicitly the "Dual-Channel" term (this term does not appear in the first and official link).

Now see this link:

Zenbook UX501VW memory upgrades

It indicates as maximum 40GB

Yes, according with the official specs, maximum is 16GB - 1 soldered (8GB) + 8GB removable

The laptop already have 16 GB of RAM, 8 + 8. So my concern is if is possible do: 8 + 16 in peace or more 8 + 32.
Or Do you mean keep 8 + 8 to keep the dual channel?

About your second link:

It indicates:

Where appears 23.9GB (I am assuming it is the max capacity) and appears explicitly the "Dual-Channel" term (this term does not appear in the first and official link).

Now see this link:

Zenbook UX501VW memory upgrades

It indicates as maximum 40GB
There seem to be some differences of opinion on ram size depending on what web site you look at.

Make sure of the return policy and try a 16Gb or 32GB stick.

TRENDING THREADS