Is Samsung's memory usable for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I was wondering if Samsung's RAM is usable for gaming. I currently use 8GB of DDR3 (1333MHz) and I'm looking to upgrade to 16GB or more. Samsung sells 16GB of faster DDR3 RAM (1600Mhz) for merely 60 dollars. It isn't really marketed as gaming RAM and I'm wondering if it would be more worthwhile to go for something that's "gaming-oriented".

I'd also like to note: Team Group made my current memory and it's marketed towards servers rather than computer but it's worked fine for me.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KR8QR66/?tag=pcpapi-20

Solution

Indeed there isn't ... rather the opposite, you can't do much better than Samsung.
In my experience, they offer top quality in all their products, from (awesome) SSDs to cellphones.

And 60 bucks for 16GB of (new, unused) memory is a very sweet deal.

On another note: If you are only doing "normal" stuff with your PC, plus gaming ... don't waste your money on more than 16GB of memory.
More is only needed for heavy-duty video editing or CAD applications.

jacobnelson920

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
One thing to note about 'gaming' products for computers is that often times they are of a lower quality than another similar product. Just because something is marketed for "gaming" doesn't guarantee quality performance. But more to the point, it should be fine to use. Double check with your motherboard manufacturer that it is compatible, but it will run your games fine. I was playing Dark Souls 3 on 16GB of 1333Mhz until i built my own computer

As long as the memory is compatible with your motherboard, it will be fine. "Gaming Oriented" RAM is really just about the heat spreader on the RAM and overclocks. Samsung is a supplier of memory chips inside the "gaming oriented" products for most, if not all, RAM companies. If it is compatible, you will never know the difference unless you are doing memory overclocking competitions.

There are cases where fast RAM will really help performance, such as it is with Ryzen CPUs. So "gaming oriented" RAM may be your only option in those scenarios.

16gb ram for $60 ??

Yeah buy that mate anyway, its pretty much half price.

There is absolutely no such thing as 'gaming' ram , gaming motheboards or gaming cases.

Its a sales gimmick & a moniker given to entice people to think its better.

You generally get some flash coloured heatsinks & nice packaging , underneath all that the product is pretty much the same

Samsung is the biggest memory manufacturer in the world. The vast majority of the RAM in the world is made by Samsung, SK Hynix (Hyundai Electronics), and Micron (Crucial).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271726/global-market-share-held-by-dram-chip-vendors-since-2010/

Nearly every other brand of memory (Corsair, G.Skill, Mushkin, Kingston, etc) isn't a manufacturer. They just buy DRAM chips from one of these tjree manufacturers, install it on to PCBs, and sell it to you as "their" memory. So there's nothing wrong with Samsung memory.

gaius_iulius

Notable
Sep 6, 2017

Indeed there isn't ... rather the opposite, you can't do much better than Samsung.
In my experience, they offer top quality in all their products, from (awesome) SSDs to cellphones.

And 60 bucks for 16GB of (new, unused) memory is a very sweet deal.

On another note: If you are only doing "normal" stuff with your PC, plus gaming ... don't waste your money on more than 16GB of memory.
More is only needed for heavy-duty video editing or CAD applications.

Solution

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I'll be getting 32 GB anyways as Samsung is only selling these at 16GB per stick. Apparently, it's better to just get two sticks rather than run off of one. Luckily, Cyber Monday is about a month away from now.

gaius_iulius

Notable
Sep 6, 2017
You're right ... at that price (it's like 40% of the regular retail price), going for 32GB makes sense. At least you'll never have to worry about needing more RAM, ever, as long as you have that machine.

PIERCEJEANS

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I was wondering if Samsung's RAM is usable for gaming. I currently use 8GB of DDR3 (1333MHz) and I'm looking to upgrade to 16GB or more. Samsung sells 16GB of faster DDR3 RAM (1600Mhz) for merely 60 dollars. It isn't really marketed as gaming RAM and I'm wondering if it would be more worthwhile to go for something that's "gaming-oriented".

I'd also like to note: Team Group made my current memory and it's marketed towards servers rather than computer but it's worked fine for me.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KR8QR66/?tag=pcpapi-20
I am a penny pincher who buys old computers off of Ebay for next to nothing, and uses them for another five or ten years. I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre computer that has samsung memory in it... and half of it has died. 2 gigs on each strip according to Crucial troubleshooting software. Originally it had 8 gigs total, and now I am down to 4. I am going with Crucial ram off ebay, used and tested of course, and will happily stay away from Samsung. Their rep in other areas of hardware... TVs and such... is not great for being trouble free. On the other hand, Panasonic, JVC have five star reps. So... I was aghast when I discovered the failing ram within the beast I own and love is all Samsung. I can't get my order for replacement ram out fast enough. Just one man's opinion. After all... Micron was the original supplier to IBM PCs I believe before they sold to Beijing.

Status
Not open for further replies.