Question Is something overheating? GPU or CPU?

Dec 5, 2019
I have a new Ultrawide Monitor AW3418DW and my old graphics card did not have any display port outputs. So I purchased a GTX2070 Super. My system is: Asus MB P8P67Deluxe with 17 2600k air cooled. 750watt power supply. I installed the GPU no problem, install the latest drivers and booted up. All worked well until I tried to game. A couple of tries on a few games proceeded to shut down my system with no warning. It automatically rebooted to my desktop. I downloaded CPUID? and I think it showed the temp at idle of my 4 cores in the 30-40 C range with a high around 50. Sorry I don't know how to read the graph. I tried the games again and had the same result. Airflow should not be the issue since my case is completely open and sitting on my desk. My problem is: How do I know if I have a overheating problem, and is it the OC graphics card or my CPU? I'm on the verge of taking the GPU back because all these games ran perfectly fine with this CPU and a dual monitor setup before I installed the GPU. Any thoughts?

No the 30-50 range is not while gaming. I don't know how to see the temp while gaming. That reading is at idle on the desktop
OK.....so what I would do is.....download Afterburner.
It comes with software called Riva Tuner.
If it gives you the option to include Riva Tuner when you go to download Afterburner.....SELECT IT.
Although I think it may automatically come with it.
Afterburner will measure temps, clock speeds etc and display them in it's own window on your desktop.....but you can't see your desktop while in a game.
Riva tuner gives you an on screen display in the game so you can monitor the temps (or whatever else) while gaming.

So download these.....get them running......get your on screen display for your CPU and GPU temps in game and run the game and look at the temps.

Dec 5, 2019
Ok I downloaded HWinfo and ran it. played a game while HWinfo was running. computer crashed . I have no idea why? On reboot had to start HWinfo again. I can't read the friggin charts to even understand what they all mean. I had it running in a small window with game in a smaller window. none of the indicators for temp turned red before shutdown. Gonna try Afterburner now

Ok I d/l Afterburner. Ran a game. cpu temps were in high 30's and low 40's. There was NO spike on any of the 8 cores. System shut down without indicating a high temp. I'm stymied.
Gonna monitor GPU this time I guess.

Update:
With Afterburner running I monitore the GPU. No problems with temperature. The only indicator that moved was the frequency graph. As soon as the game screen loaded, the fan speed went up a few percent and computer immediately crashed. I also noticed that at idle the fans do not turn on the GPU. One fan started just before the crash but until then they weren't running at all.

Last edited:
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle if your cooler is mounted well and functioning.
30-40c. seems ok to me.

What is the make/model of your psu?
750w should be plenty, but if it is a poor quality unit or is failing, that could be your problem.
Your gpu upgrade is likely drawing more power.

Dec 5, 2019
GPU is Corsair HX750W Professional series.
I just tried another graphics heavy game with same results. System shutdown. I'm just confused why everything ran fine with my dual 27 monitors on an old AMD HD7770 no problems