[SOLVED] is something wrong with the PSU?

71ramosalex

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018
i recently built my first system with all new pieces. when i connect the PSU and turn it on, the Mobo LED turns on just fine, i then press the power button. then the cpu fan led will turn on, then it'll take anywhere from 5-10 seconds for everything else to actually start. i post just fine and when I use the system everything is perfectly normal. When gaming Resident evil 3 on max settings 1440p CPU temps are 67-69 and GPU temps are 75-79 depending how long i play. and the system works without a hitch. Then when I shut down the system or put it to sleep it'll do so just fine. Mobo LED stays on after system is shut down. then If i were to return and press the power button, the CPU fan led turns on. but after that the system just hangs there. no fans, nothing starts up. it just sits there with the LEDs on. only way to fix this is by turning the PSU off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on. after that everything works just fine! but i have to turn off PSU everytime i shut down the PC and turn it back on if i want to boot again. what gives? below are my specs

Asrock x470 taichi (3.9 bios)
Ryzen 3700x with latest amd chipsets
Asrock 5700xt challenger
G skill ripjaw v 16GB (2x8) 3200mh ram
EVGA 650w supernova G5 80+ gold

I have already tried resetting ram and using only 1 stick , as well as changing which slots they are inserted into. does not matter if I have XMP enabled or am using stock 2133mh speed. the boot problem persists unless i switch psu off and on

Edit: if I select restart instead of shut down or sleep, then the system restarts without issue. the problem is only with shut down or sleep

Solution
So I've done some reading and while i do have the 3.9 bio which is the latest for my motherboard, apparently it has been causing the issue I'm experiencing. A lot of people have said downgrading to 3.77 or 3.6 helped them fix the issue. so i'm going to try and find out how to downgrade and see if that helps. if any of y'all know how to downgrade an asrock x470 taichi, help a rookie out. Appreciate the input you guys have given!

You downgrade the same way you upgrade. You just flash the BIOS, but with the older revision of the BIOS.
Motherboard has:
  • 1 x 24 pin ATX Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector)
  • 1 x 8 pin 12V Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector)
  • 1 x 4 pin 12V Power Connector (Hi-Density Power Connector)

Power supply doesn't appear to have enough connectors.

24 Pin ATX1x 24pin (20+4)
EPS (CPU)1x 8pin (4+4)

71ramosalex

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018
Motherboard has:

EPS (CPU)1x 8pin (4+4)
so what do I do? buy a new power supply, or is there a cable I can buy?

Motherboard has:

EPS (CPU)1x 8pin (4+4)

No. The 4-pin is for ADDITIONAL power. The PC should still POST.

This doesn't sound like a PSU problem at all. Sounds like the motherboard. Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

71ramosalex

Prominent
Aug 14, 2018
So I've done some reading and while i do have the 3.9 bio which is the latest for my motherboard, apparently it has been causing the issue I'm experiencing. A lot of people have said downgrading to 3.77 or 3.6 helped them fix the issue. so i'm going to try and find out how to downgrade and see if that helps. if any of y'all know how to downgrade an asrock x470 taichi, help a rookie out. Appreciate the input you guys have given!

Reactions: jonnyguru

You downgrade the same way you upgrade. You just flash the BIOS, but with the older revision of the BIOS.

Solution