Is striping in Disk Manager the same as RAID 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hi,
I have an ASUS X58 motherboard that supports RAID 0. I want to install two RAID 0 volumes, the first one using two 300GB Velociraptors, the second with two 450GB Velociraptors. Is this possible using just the onboard RAID controller? I got one set created in the RAID utility menu, but it won't see the other drives. Windows will allow me two build the other two as striped volumes in the "Disk Manager" window. Is this the same as RAID 0? Or do I have to go buy a separate RAID controller if I want to do a second RAID volume?

Solution

Hi,
NO there are not the same, the striped volumes built in Disk Management is the softwareraid, and this is under the dynamic disk.
The striped volume built by raid controller is hardware raid, and...

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Hi,
NO there are not the same, the striped volumes built in Disk Management is the softwareraid, and this is under the dynamic disk.
The striped volume built by raid controller is hardware raid, and this is basic disk.

They are the same in main function, but harware raid seems more safety, the dynamic disk seems easier to be damaged when there's some disaster.

Solution

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for the reply. One more question. I have a RAID controller on my motherboard too as I mentioned. This is called "firmware" RAID is that correct? Should this be a basic or dynamic disk?

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
you could go to your disk management to see it is a dynamic disk or basic disk, widely spoken, if you did not convert it to dynamic disk, and just seted up by raid controller, it is a baisc disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS