Is The 200DY Optiplex 780 board an ATX form factor? And will it fit my 750ti?

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
Just bought some new pc parts for a budget build, and I'm not sure if this optiplex board will support my PSU and GPU. I have a SOLYTECH 400w PSU.

Solution
That board is BTX form factor, it won't work in any case but the original Dell one, also it has proprietary power connectors, so its not going to work with your PSU anyway.

As for the GPU it otherwise should work if you can find a way to power it. I would otherwise highly recommend against building with this board. That PSU is also cheap junk, I wouldn't use that either.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
That board is BTX form factor, it won't work in any case but the original Dell one, also it has proprietary power connectors, so its not going to work with your PSU anyway.

As for the GPU it otherwise should work if you can find a way to power it. I would otherwise highly recommend against building with this board. That PSU is also cheap junk, I wouldn't use that either.

Solution

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016

I've already got a 750ti, not sure what model, I just know its a twin-fan MSI model.

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016

So since I got a bare-bones mobo, I'll need the compatible PSU and IO cable, and other than that my RAM and GPU will work?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Is it the low profile half height one? That would probably work actually.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

To get a compatible PSU you'd need to get one from Dell, and on an 11 year old system, good luck.

I would toss it in the trash and start with a different motherboard and CPU. Its not worth what you'd need to go through to get it working.

The only MSI model that has a chance of fitting in the desktop case is the MSI N750 Ti-2GD5TLP.

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016

Theres no case, so it probably doesnt matter

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes your main problem is there is no case, and nobody sells a case that would fit it because its BTX.

Your other thread about what you plan to do with this tells me you should toss it in the garbage before spending any more money on it. You need a specific PSU for it, which cannot run a Good GPU, and your reasons for the build will have you losing money completely.

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016

Ok. I found another MoBo that could act as the replacement. Its a $20 BIOSTAR MoBo, which I believe is not an OEM board. Would that work? I'm on a really tight budget.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its not an OEM board which is good. But what is it? What processor is it?

Again based on your other thread, what you plan to use it for is a waste of $20. If you're on a really tight budget this is a waste of said budget Like I said, roll the money up and light it on fire, you will lose less.

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016

It would be an Intel Q8400. I'm here for answers and advice about PC parts, not money.

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016

So, my Q8400 came in a few hours ago, and it appears to have flat contacts instead of pins protruding from the bottom. Am I seeing this correctly? This was quite disorienting considering most, if not all, of the CPUs I can remember handling have had pins on the bottom.

Intel dropped usage of pin grid array on processors because the pins were too fragile and processors were more expensive to replace than motherboards when damaged.

Intel has been using land grid array (LGA) on consumer processors since December 2004 with their Pentium 4 Prescott. Your Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 was launched in Q2 of 2009 so LGA was already in full use by Intel. Land pads don't suffer from the fragility that pins suffer from.

AMD has only recently started to use LGA with their new Ryzen processors.