Is the 2900 the future?

OK weve all read the "benches" from DT's blogspot. It addressed 5 games, all good and somewhat demanding games. The 2900 didnt look all that great when I first pulled it up against... the GTS. Then the following day, we hear about the new "benches", with corrections, and this time pitted against the mighty GTX. Yes we all know that the GTX was overclocked, yes we all know that theres something going on with the XTX, and yes these arent REALLY the cards you or me will buy.Oh, and finally, the drivers that were used arent going to be the drivers thats really going to be used by these cards. That being said, heres my question as Ive thought it out : First thing I noticed was, since I play Oblivion, that the benches were waaay different from one day to the next, also, as I observed the second set of "benches" I noticed that Oblivion was only 10% slower than the overclocked GTX. As todays games goes , Oblivion is one of the most demanding games, using shaders and geometrics like hardly ever before. Isnt this is what the DX10 will demand? And then therefore, wont the 2900 truly excel in those games?

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well the future would mean most people playing at higher res. 1900x1200 showed 8800GTX was 27% faster than the 2900 XTX.

For RTSers (Company of Heroes) that 50% difference is too hard to ignore at 1900x1200

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I would fully expect the architecture of the R600 to excel in DX10, so if it can put up a decent DX9 performance for the next 6-9 months or so, if this is true it will have done enough.