[SOLVED] is the 6800xt gonna be good for streaming ?

Speedy_H05

Great
Nov 16, 2020
hey guys I'm a streamer and was wondering if the 6800xt was gonna be good choice, because I don't want crazy frames drops and stuff

Solution
Yea the think is I’ll never be playing 4K like ever lol so it’s a tough one because the amd side has 16gb cram and nvidea has 10gb but of the newer gen nvidea also has nvenc but amd also outperforms nvidea in resolutions like 1080p or 1440p
The real question is if someone said choose one and you’ll have it on sight which one would you choose

The extra VRAM for now it seems to be usefull only in a few games, and only for 4K or above. And yes nvidia encoder and RTX implementation are way, way better right now.

At least for me Ray Tracing is not a must right now, only a few games use it and some of them I will never play lol (I did enjoyed every bit of the campaign mode of BF5 with Ray Tracing enable).

But DLSS...
What the rest of your System, CPU, RAM, etc?
What kind of games do you play while streaming?

Far as I know RADEON GPUs comes with a built in encoder, but it does not seem to perform as well as nvidia one. Perhaps someone else in the forum can give a more in depth explanation.

Speedy_H05

Great
Nov 16, 2020
Because at this point I’m deciding between the 3080 and 6800xt and from what I can tell the 6800xt is better at 1440p and 1080p also if you guys do know or have an idea of which card will age better please let me know because I don’t plan on upgrading after this card

Because at this point I’m deciding between the 3080 and 6800xt and from what I can tell the 6800xt is better at 1440p and 1080p also if you guys do know or have an idea of which card will age better please let me know because I don’t plan on upgrading after this card

Well ok, now that you mention the "age better", and this is not exactly an answer about GPU aging but, if you stream with OBS, and you plan on using Ray Tracing and/or DLSS in the near future, then right now I woud pick the RTX 3080.

"DLSS" on AMD is basically imposible right now, they have something called Supersampling but theres no game that support it yet. As for AMD Ray Tracing the performance for the time been is really crappy, it may change in the future, with driver updates and game optimization.

What makes things harder at this point is that on the other hand, AMD ray tracing and supersampling is available on PS5 and XBOX-X so game developers will and could use it in the future and that may lead to improvement on the PC side too.

I don't know, is a hard time to recommend one over the other.

Speedy_H05

Great
Nov 16, 2020
Yea the think is I’ll never be playing 4K like ever lol so it’s a tough one because the amd side has 16gb cram and nvidea has 10gb but of the newer gen nvidea also has nvenc but amd also outperforms nvidea in resolutions like 1080p or 1440p

The real question is if someone said choose one and you’ll have it on sight which one would you choose

The extra VRAM for now it seems to be usefull only in a few games, and only for 4K or above. And yes nvidia encoder and RTX implementation are way, way better right now.

At least for me Ray Tracing is not a must right now, only a few games use it and some of them I will never play lol (I did enjoyed every bit of the campaign mode of BF5 with Ray Tracing enable).

But DLSS, specially 2.0, is something that right now (not tomorrow) could be the diference between 35~40FPS or 75-90FPS, and thats a huge diference I care about. Control for example is one of those games that at higher resolutions/higher detail settings become playable thanks to DLSS.

Im playing an offroad driving simulator (Snowrunner) that is taking my RTX 2070 to its limits (playing at 1440p with everything maxed, everything but shadows, I almost have stable 60 FPS, but more around 55), if the developer would add DLSS the right way, that could mean going from 50~60FPS to maybe 90~110FPS. It would made 4K playable, or even high refresh viable on my RTX 2070 at 1440p, without sacrificing the graphic and detail settings level.

Anyways, If I have to choose right now, I would probably go with an RTX. Because I wouldn't care about 4K so vram should not be a problem, but I do wana have DLSS support just in case.

If more games support and look as good as DLSS 2.0 with AMD SuperSampling in the future, I would not mind going Radeon at all!

Solution