Is the 840 Evo's Rapid Mode pointless with Sata 2?

virtual_ghost14

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I just ordered a new Samsung 840 Evo and I'm very excited about it. However, my laptop's motherboard is only capable of running on Sata 2's 3gb/s speed, so it will be bottlenecking my ssd. (bummer)

My question is, will running my ssd on rapid mode be pointless since my sata 2 will already be maxed out, or will it give me some improvements? I have 8gb of ram and have no problem with giving a gb to my ssd, but only if it will give me a performance boost. Does anyone out there know?

Solution
I have installed the 840 EVO on both SATA II and SATA III machines - it is a tremendous speed improvement - shocking for the first time you boot....

You can try the different configurations in the EVO setup - I don't know if it will give you a big boost or not, you will probably be impressed without it turned on....
I have installed the 840 EVO on both SATA II and SATA III machines - it is a tremendous speed improvement - shocking for the first time you boot....

You can try the different configurations in the EVO setup - I don't know if it will give you a big boost or not, you will probably be impressed without it turned on....

Solution

virtual_ghost14

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Thanks ronintexas. I probably should have just waited until I got my SSD and played around with it before posting but I was excited about finally buying an SSD. I got it running now and it's great. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Dude, with SATA II, RAPID mode is that much MORE important.

RAPID uses your system RAM as cache, meaning it uses less SATA bandwidth, and its speed is independent of SATA speed, but determined by your RAM speed.

This means reducing SATA II as a bottleneck. You will see a more noticeable improvement from SATA II to RAPID compared to SATA III to RAPID. So I would recommend it as a way to reduce that bottleneck.

TRENDING THREADS