Question Is the Alienware Area 51 Threadripper worth it?

Defenestrator IX

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Well, if it's worth the money, yes. Alienware is run by Dell, so they have very solid computers. With the "base" model, it has a GeForce 1050Ti, so that means probably 120-ish FPS on low. I'd guess with a 1080p monitor, it should get about 60fps on medium-high. Again this is my guess for the least expensive model. The highest probably should get a few hundred FPS on low, and way more than 60 on the highest.

(Disclaimer: this is an educated guess)

The Threadripper rig being hyped and pimped by Alienware /Dell as a gaming system a couple years back upon Threadripper's release was a rather sad affair...

It's not cost effective, and, it's outperformed by mainstream offerings costing hundreds less... (who wants to pay $500-$1000 extra for a 16 core TR4-based gaming system, and have it outperformed by an R5-1600 or R7-1700 in gaming?

Certainly, they are capable of casual gaming, and do 'ok', but, I'd not be selecting on thinking it will be optimal for 144 Hz refresh gaming....

You might be able to find some performance examples of your chosen game with assorted TR4 offerings on Youtube...

(Certainly, the 1050Ti will be maxed out by even an R5-1600/1600X, so, unless you need the threads for content creation....I'd wait for some R7-3700-3800X action in 8-10 days...and get at least a 1660Ti!)

Defenestrator IX

Prominent
May 10, 2019
The Threadripper rig being hyped and pimped by Alienware /Dell as a gaming system a couple years back upon Threadripper's release was a rather sad affair...

It's not cost effective, and, it's outperformed by mainstream offerings costing hundreds less... (who wants to pay $500-$1000 extra for a 16 core TR4-based gaming system, and have it outperformed by an R5-1600 or R7-1700 in gaming?

Certainly, they are capable of casual gaming, and do 'ok', but, I'd not be selecting on thinking it will be optimal for 144 Hz refresh gaming....

You might be able to find some performance examples of your chosen game with assorted TR4 offerings on Youtube...

(Certainly, the 1050Ti will be maxed out by even an R5-1600/1600X, so, unless you need the threads for content creation....I'd wait for some R7-3700-3800X action in 8-10 days...and get at least a 1660Ti!)
You have a good point. A new Ryzen would have better per-core performance. I was mostly going by the GPU.

Jun 29, 2019
I am a noob with PC's and this is going to be my first PC ever owning and I want to play games like Apex Legends, PUBG, Call Of Duty, GTA V, Fortnite, etc. With all low settings how many FPS do you think I will average with these games?

Jun 29, 2019
stick with 1 thread
I am a noob with PC's and this is going to be my first PC ever owning and I want to play games like Apex Legends, PUBG, Call Of Duty, GTA V, Fortnite, etc. With all low settings how many FPS do you think I will average with these games?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's an overly expensive platform if your priority is playing games. It loses to 8th/9th gen Intel and Ryzen 2000s in that area.
Ryzen 3000 launch is almost here(July 7), can you wait and see what kind of performance they bring?
Do you have a set budget?