Question Is the Amount of Backlight Bleed of My Monitor Acceptable?

ink123

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hi, I have a HP 27XQ 1440p 144 hz 27 inch TN panel monitor. I wanted to test my monitor to see if it has any defects. In a dark room, I opened a pitch black image and set it to fullscreen. I also looked at the examples of backlight bleeding but I couldn't decide whether it has a serious backlight bleed or not. There is no flashing light or an evident glow on the edges or on the corners as in the example pictures here on this site https://www.lightbleedtest.com/ . However, a little brightness coming from both right and left ends and its intensity changes depending on the angle. For example, if you look from right left side is more brighter and its like glowing a little bit which I find it strange since my monitor has a TN panel and can't suffer from IPS glow.

Here is a picture of my monitor but bear in mind that in photo my monitor looks way more brighter than it is in real.
https://ibb.co/z5x5NjB

That unit is known for problems with backlight bleed. You can calibrate it and adjust the brightness down, but it is still going to have a noticeable amount of (Probably actually UNACCEPTABLE amount of it, in my opinion) backlight bleed no matter what you do.

You already knew this based on your thread for the exact same problem you posted about in 2019.

If you Google it, you will find many others with similar problems. Nothing has changed since you first asked about it. It's a cheap panel. You know a panel is not very good when there are exactly zero professional reviews of it.

Reactions: drivinfast247

ink123

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
That unit is known for problems with backlight bleed. You can calibrate it and adjust the brightness down, but it is still going to have a noticeable amount of (Probably actually UNACCEPTABLE amount of it, in my opinion) backlight bleed no matter what you do.

You already knew this based on your thread for the exact same problem you posted about in 2019.

If you Google it, you will find many others with similar problems. Nothing has changed since you first asked about it. It's a cheap panel. You know a panel is not very good when there are exactly zero professional reviews of it.

"That unit is known for problems with backlight bleed." Are you sure? I searched google and found nothing about backlight bleeding related to my model. I've only found an issue about screen bleeding. Except for oleds, every monitor out there has backlight bleeding to some degree due to the technology of the panels. I am just being a kind of a perfectionist. I actually don't notice anything wrong about the monitor during regular use but when I test it for backlight bleeding, it's hard for me to say whether it has a normal amount of backlight bleed or not. Also, even though my monitor has a TN panel, it acts like as if it had ips glow.

Like I said, you may need to calibrate the contrast and brightness. And yes, I've seen plenty of feedback on this model showing that it is not particularly good in terms of black depth in low light conditions. This is not terribly uncommon. A lot of TN and IPS panels are this way. When you want a monitor that has very little backlight bleed with deep, rich blacks, in low light conditions, you generally want a VA panel.

So you may be right that it is normal for your panel, but that still doesn't mean that it's good in certain conditions. It just doesn't mean that there is necessarily something "wrong" with it either. Some panel types are better than others depending on the light conditions and viewing angles which is why some are more expensive than others. I'd calibrate and then try not to use it when there it very little ambient light if possible, so that it won't be noticeable. If it isn't normally noticeable and doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure why the question anyhow.

ink123

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Like I said, you may need to calibrate the contrast and brightness. And yes, I've seen plenty of feedback on this model showing that it is not particularly good in terms of black depth in low light conditions. This is not terribly uncommon. A lot of TN and IPS panels are this way. When you want a monitor that has very little backlight bleed with deep, rich blacks, in low light conditions, you generally want a VA panel.

So you may be right that it is normal for your panel, but that still doesn't mean that it's good in certain conditions. It just doesn't mean that there is necessarily something "wrong" with it either. Some panel types are better than others depending on the light conditions and viewing angles which is why some are more expensive than others. I'd calibrate and then try not to use it when there it very little ambient light if possible, so that it won't be noticeable. If it isn't normally noticeable and doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure why the question anyhow.

I have calibrated my screen according to this article https://www.lesnumeriques.com/moniteur-ecran-lcd/hp-27xq-p50867/test.html

The thing is that in regular use I don't notice but in dark scenes it is noticeable. The thing about my monitor is that rather than backlight bleeding it has a condition as if it had ips glow. The brightness or the dim glowing coming from sides and corners lessens or intensifies depending on the angle from which I look at my screen when I set my screen to pitch black in a dark room. I searched it on google and every page out there says backlight glow doesn't change its intensity if you look from a different angle. The degree of IPS glow does depend on the angle from which you look at it. My monitor has TN panel and IPS cannot be an issue for me.

The thing about my monitor is that rather than backlight bleeding it has a condition as if it had ips glow.
Actually, it doesn't. IPS glow happens in the corners while backlight bleeding generally occurs at the edges. As seen here.

This is IPS glow. Notice that the light comes specifically from the corners.

a6ac9d0df4c1b58157a1f3c4f33aa245

This is backlight bleeding. Notice that the light comes primarily from the edges but NOT in the corner areas.

a11550c897ba2a766a67f141bf600c5f

ink123

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Actually, it doesn't. IPS glow happens in the corners while backlight bleeding generally occurs at the edges. As seen here.

This is IPS glow. Notice that the light comes specifically from the corners.

a6ac9d0df4c1b58157a1f3c4f33aa245

This is backlight bleeding. Notice that the light comes primarily from the edges but NOT in the corner areas.

a11550c897ba2a766a67f141bf600c5f

But backlight bleed doesn't change its intensity if you look from a different angle but for my it does and I'm sure I see it right