[SOLVED] Is the be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 ATX Full Tower Case a good case?

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Is the Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2 full tower a good PC case? I'm planning to use an RTX 3090 FE in it, but I worry about the airflow. It being a "quiet" case, will it have terrible thermals and is that something I should be worried about?

I like the case also because its aesthetics; I don't care for all the flashy RBG cases out there, but this one strikes a nice balance.

Thoughts on this case? If it's not good, can someone recommend me another one?

Solution
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3335-be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-rev2-benchmarks-review
Conclusion:
"The second revision of the Dark Base Pro 900 boils down to a power supply shroud and nicer fans. If this was presented as a minor update without increasing the price, like the changes Cooler Master made to the H500P, it would make sense. The original DBP 900 that we reviewed was great and earned our Editor’s Choice and Quality Build awards, and we let the price slide because it’s clearly a luxury item. Still, $250 was a lot of money, and Be Quiet is asking $20 more for a near-identical case.

In performance, the Rev 2 has much better GPU cooling results than the Rev 1, but that’s because the Rev 2 has faster fans. 140mm...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3335-be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-rev2-benchmarks-review
Conclusion:
"The second revision of the Dark Base Pro 900 boils down to a power supply shroud and nicer fans. If this was presented as a minor update without increasing the price, like the changes Cooler Master made to the H500P, it would make sense. The original DBP 900 that we reviewed was great and earned our Editor’s Choice and Quality Build awards, and we let the price slide because it’s clearly a luxury item. Still, $250 was a lot of money, and Be Quiet is asking $20 more for a near-identical case.

In performance, the Rev 2 has much better GPU cooling results than the Rev 1, but that’s because the Rev 2 has faster fans. 140mm Silentwings 3 fans sell for more than $20 apiece on Newegg, so upgrading an original DBP 900 to match the Rev 2’s performance is an expensive proposition. Cooling performance is the single best argument for purchasing the newer revision instead of the older, but it only applies if the fans are run above 1000RPM, which silence-focused Be Quiet customers may never do.

The Rev 2 is a better-performing case with a few more features than its predecessor, which we already liked. If all that together is worth $20 and making PSU installation even more annoying than it was, we like the rev 2 as well."

Also, QFT:
"The loudest thing in your case are your fans and they produce low-frequency sounds, not the high-frequencies that the sound-dampening material on some of these 'silent' cases could help with.
In my experience 99% of the time the 'silence' focused cases are the loudest ones simply due to their restrictive airflow: The fans will have to run at a higher RPM in order to cool your components therefore defeating the entire purpose of them unless you only care about idle noise levels which any other case, silence-focused or not, can match or better."

A good chassis from the same party(be quiet!) is their Pure Base 500DX. A good one from a different party: Phanteks P600S.
Yeah, I know mesh chassis aren't to everyone's liking(aesthetically), but if one is to make an argument for thermals... there's really no contest there, aside from open bench.
If you want a chassis with a solid - or near solid - front panel, know that you will be making a compromise in thermals.

Solution

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Conclusion:

In performance, the Rev 2 has much better GPU cooling results than the Rev 1, but that’s because the Rev 2 has faster fans. 140mm Silentwings 3 fans sell for more than $20 apiece on Newegg, so upgrading an original DBP 900 to match the Rev 2’s performance is an expensive proposition. Cooling performance is the single best argument for purchasing the newer revision instead of the older, but it only applies if the fans are run above 1000RPM, which silence-focused Be Quiet customers may never do.

The Rev 2 is a better-performing case with a few more features than its predecessor, which we already liked. If all that together is worth $20 and making PSU installation even more annoying than it was, we like the rev 2 as well."

Also, QFT:
"The loudest thing in your case are your fans and they produce low-frequency sounds, not the high-frequencies that the sound-dampening material on some of these 'silent' cases could help with.
In my experience 99% of the time the 'silence' focused cases are the loudest ones simply due to their restrictive airflow: The fans will have to run at a higher RPM in order to cool your components therefore defeating the entire purpose of them unless you only care about idle noise levels which any other case, silence-focused or not, can match or better."

A good chassis from the same party(be quiet!) is their Pure Base 500DX. A good one from a different party: Phanteks P600S.
Yeah, I know mesh chassis aren't to everyone's liking(aesthetically), but if one is to make an argument for thermals... there's really no contest there, aside from open bench.
If you want a chassis with a solid - or near solid - front panel, know that you will be making a compromise in thermals.

Thank you for your comment! What do you think of this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0894J31QS?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Granted, it has no fans, but I could buy three of those. Still, it undoubtedly has better airflow and I could probably get it pretty quiet with some nice 140mm Noctua fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
MASSIVE.
I have the predecessor of that one, which is the Enthoo 719. It was an impulse buy gone wrong.
The plan was to do a custom liquid build - which is really what a 'loaded' chassis like that should be used for - but I ended up having a change of heart, and now it just sits in the corner.
It's just too big for a typical build - it just ends up looking empty still.

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
MASSIVE.
I have the predecessor of that one, which is the Enthoo 719. It was an impulse buy gone wrong.
The plan was to do a custom liquid build - which is really what a 'loaded' chassis like that should be used for - but I ended up having a change of heart, and now it just sits in the corner.
It's just too big for a typical build - it just ends up looking empty still.

Thank you for your input. I know it's a pretty big case from the specs I've seen and how it's rated for dual systems. I'm just struggling to find a nice looking full tower that provides good air flow but also looks nice. I really like the look of the Be Quiet! case I linked above, but I worry about heat issues especially since I'm putting a 3090 FE and 850W PSU in it. Is there a good case you would recommend?

I also like this case:

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-GRAP...ords=full+tower+pc+case&qid=1610042902&sr=8-3

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The psu is usually isolated from the rest of the system, so it doesn't play a part in the airflow.

Huh. One of those 'oldie but goodie' chassis.
I don't see a problem with it.

Is there a good case you would recommend?
I don't mind, but you may notice a certain bias with my selection:
Phanteks P600S, or Enthoo Pro M TG
Cooler Master H500M or H500
Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh or O11 Dynamic
Fractal Design Meshify 2 or S2

TRENDING THREADS