Is the blower fan really needed for the EVGA Hybrid Kit?

Schwartzinator

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I have a pair of GTX 980 Ti FTW that make it difficult to attach the reference cooler to the board. I can easily attach the block from the Hybrid Kit to the GPU, but it leaves just the mid plate for cooling the rest of the components on the PCB. Will the plate be enough to keep the rest of the components cool, or do I actually need to get the fan from the reference cooler onto the board as well?

TheDestinyHunter

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Hi,

I would not recommend it as you need some airflow to cool that midplate, depending on how thick it is. It also depends on your airflow as you do not want to fry your VRM's and Mosfets. That is not a good idea.
But it may work, if you do not overclock the memory or do anything intense with the power usage in something like MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision.

Schwartzinator

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

I have an NZXT H440. In the front, I have three Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fans providing the airflow for the case. I was planning on having the Radiators for the GPUs mounted in the front of the case in push pull with the included EVGA fans on the back side of the radiator which should provide ample airflow over the cooling plates. If that wouldn't be enough, do you know of some sort of cooling array that could be attached the plate to provide passive cooling similar to the way it's handled by the heatsinks on a motherboard? I also have no intentions of overclocking the cards at all.

Schwartzinator

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

It seems like the cooling plate just might be enough to keep the VRMs and MOSFETS cool since it's not trying to dissipate the additional heat from the GPU core that would be absorbed by the shared aluminum heatsink that runs the length of the card. In any event, I'm trying to find some better looking passive cooling arrays. I figured something like this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18205/vid-215/Aavid_Thermalloy_Premium_Heatsink_-_35mm_x_35mm_x_10mm_-_Anodized_Black.html?tl=g40c21&id=tq4Ya5q3
attached to the plate with the fins angled vertically down the length of the card would work great as the air from the front fans would work down them.