Question Is the Corsair RM550x (2021) as efficient at light loads as it bigger siblings?

EricJH

Prominent
Dec 1, 2022
I am looking for a new PSU to replace an 80 Plus CoolerMaster RS-620-ASAA-A1 because I am looking for a PSU with a higher efficiency. To go the extra mile I want a PSU which provides high efficiency at light loads (2% and 10% of rated power and the range 20W-80W as tested by Tom's Hardware).

For my needs a PSU of 550W will suffice and am interested in the Corsair RM 550x. I noticed that the 2021 versions of RM750x and RM1000x do very well with efficiency at light loads and wondered if that also extends to the RM550x.

Unfortunately I cannot find a test of the 2021 version of RM550x. However according to the PSU Best Buy guide of September 2022 the RM550x is "Highly efficient at light load".

Does anybody know whether the RM550x is as efficient at light loads as its bigger siblings and is able to provide a link to an article(s) about the RMx 2021 series discussing efficiency at light loads as a property of the series or to a test that I missed?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Units/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020197-NA#tab-overview

rm550x_efficiency.png

Reactions: Lafong

EricJH

Prominent
Dec 1, 2022

EricJH

Prominent
Dec 1, 2022
Thank you too for your prompt reply and apologies for my late reply.

That was insightful even though it did not measure the specific properties. I had found their website as it is an established and authoritative testing agency. It is the type of website which is daunting when navigating it at first sight and with little research yet done. Their reports are quite informative. (y)