Is the CPU dead?

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018
ok I have a ryzen 5 1600 and msi gaming plus mobo and gskill ripjawsV ddr4 16gb CL15-16-16-35

now I used a psu that a friend let me use . everything worked fine . installed windows blah blah blah and played D3..woke up next morning turned it on and got a cpu light , tried everything and nothing , even breadboarded it and nothing . it wouldn't even turn on again..so I ordered a msi gaming plus , and evga 500watt 80 plus bronze psu ..tried everything w new mobo and the cpu , ram on breadboard . I thought mayb the psu from my friend killed the mobo , so that's y ordered the mobo and psu . but im getting same results from before .. , ive re-seated the cpu multiple times , thinking that might b the cause , even cpu 8 pin and 24 pin power and still nothing, so what could be the cause of this ?

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

yep I even tried booting w/ no cpu ..the mobo turns on w/ the cpu out , but when its in , it does not

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

I tried same cpu on 2 diff b350 boards and same results and ive tried on those 2 boards w/o cpu installed.. the boards will power on , but they wont w/ the cpu in..so im assuming fried cpu

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

no pins bent at all..ive tried turning it on w/ screwdriver w/ CPU installed ( breadboard ) ..both boards will power on w/o the CPU installed but as soon as I install the CPU , neithier board powers on and I felt the CPU while trying to power on the boards and it gets extremely hot ..sounds like dead or fried CPU , CPU as far as the pins are A OK ..no bent pins wat so ever..seems odd to me that its really hard for CPU's to fry or die these days , idk what the issue is , just seems like dead CPU or fried

It seems to me that you're just very unlucky. If its still under warranty you should defo think about getting it replaced. The fact that you tell me that it gets really hot is also a concern here. What's your cooling like? Your thermal paste is well applied?

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

theres no paste at all . ive tried that B4 with a cooler and same issue .everything should still post with no cooler installed .both B350 boards. 1 is a day old ..both boards power on w/o CPU installed ..as soon as I install CPU ..nothing happens on both boards, except CPU getting hot is all and no power what so ever and I have no warranty except the 3 year AMD warranty that everyone gets either way

Ok, well that's your issue. When a CPU is installed, it will shut it down if there is no cooler because it overheats and they usually have an automatic shut down control when it reaches a certain temperature. That could also be the reason why your CPU died as the temperatures went to high. Please use a cooler. You talked about an Ryzen 5 1600, it usually comes with a stock cooler (wraith spire). The cooler comes with thermal paste pre-applied, what happened to it?

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

ive tried a w/ a cooler . it does the same ..no boot and just nothing at all
I have ryzen 5 1600

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

I have a watercooler. I don't use stock coolers ..

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

used paste of course and nothing , 8 pin 24 pin..the ram , bare essentials and yep nothing powers on . stock cooler as well

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

all I have is my main PC , which is my ryzen 7 2700x PC . highly expensive setup ..I know the boards ive tested work fine ..cuz they power on ..im prolly gonna RMA the CPU and order another ryzen 5 1600

Sounds like a good option. Best of luck!

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

yea I think it is the CPU , ive done every testing in the book and same results everytime..so, RMA it is I guess..

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

so, I ordered the CPU ( Ryzen 5 1600 ) again. over-night shipping . itll be here Tuesday . we will see if its the CPU, I bet %100 it is ..thanks for helping me anyway , ill let u know the results on Tuesday

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

yea it did, had to buy another ryzen 5 1600 chip and yep , new chip worked great , old chip just dead

Sorry to hear that man. But glad that it worked out in the end. Hope everything goes well from now on!

TRENDING THREADS