[SOLVED] is the difference between CL11 and CL9 Ddr3 rams worth it for gaming ?

Aug 20, 2021
basically, I'm stuck between two options
I have got a CL9 ram and a CL11 ram, i can either slow down the CL9 ram to 11 in order for them to work, or sacrifice stability and overclock the CL11 ram to 9?
is the speed difference worth the stability risk for gaming ?

Solution
Difference? minimal. You could just buy 2x8gbs of 1600mhz from any brand, prefer the one that got sk hynix or samsung ICs. Then manually lower the timing to CL9, wouldn't be that hard to do.

I currently using a 2133mhz ddr3 rated at cl 10-12-12-12-31 (Team Vulcan DDR3), but because my motherboard doesn't support ram OC, i am maxed at 1600mhz, and lower the timing to CL9. Heres my Kit and my timings (All completely manual tune):
unknown.png
unknown.png

Here's the result of my timing vs 1600mhz xmp from the kit:
XMP...
Difference? minimal. You could just buy 2x8gbs of 1600mhz from any brand, prefer the one that got sk hynix or samsung ICs. Then manually lower the timing to CL9, wouldn't be that hard to do.

I currently using a 2133mhz ddr3 rated at cl 10-12-12-12-31 (Team Vulcan DDR3), but because my motherboard doesn't support ram OC, i am maxed at 1600mhz, and lower the timing to CL9. Heres my Kit and my timings (All completely manual tune):
unknown.png
unknown.png

Here's the result of my timing vs 1600mhz xmp from the kit:
XMP:
xmp_speed.jpg

Manual:
ddr3_16gb.png

the timing that i use has been used on my previous kit, 2x4 totally random ram brand per stick but same ic and pcb layout, 2x8gbs of HyperX, and now 2x8gbs of Team Vulcan.

For gaming, you should just aim the fastest cpu you could get on your mobo.

Solution
CL11 is pretty loose for jedec timing, the same like 3200mhz CL22, which is mostly double the digit of 1600 cl11, with todays ddr3 ram, buying CL11 ram then lower the timing to CL9 is pretty easy. you could use my timing reference if you want to try (try primary first, then proceed to secondary an teritary for a bit performance balance).

Aug 20, 2021
CL11 is pretty loose for jedec timing, the same like 3200mhz CL22, which is mostly double the digit of 1600 cl11, with todays ddr3 ram, buying CL11 ram then lower the timing to CL9 is pretty easy. you could use my timing reference if you want to try (try primary first, then proceed to secondary an teritary for a bit performance balance).
i tried running it at CL9 but it was causing my BlueScreens and random game crashes, so i just slowed down the faster ram to CL11, since the performance difference isnt noticeable

But ddr3 in 2021!! How?
super cheap low priced, affordable. I do still use ddr3 since my money income have been decreased, need to build pc, all cheap, but worth the price. Currently i use an Intel Xeon E3 1240 V2 build since is pretty much worth it than buying an i7 3770. Newer parts like ddr4 ram is currently ramping more than usual here, as well amd and intel parts. 3rd gen intel is not absolute garbage, it's the sweetspot for ultra budget but want to perform as good as possible for it's price, rather than buying a ddr4 system but lower end, and overall performance is not enough to satisfy :D

While you have a used ddr3 system, chug in a good GPU, therefore you have time to re think if this set is enough, or need to upgrade asap when prices starting to drop.

For me myself, i do plan to grab an RTX 2060/Super, and a DDR5 system after 3 years prior mainstream launch. Getting ok performance so you could save money and upgrade to a better system, getting alot of cpu performance in one pay and enough to satisfy, is so me XD

Reactions: SamirD
Aug 20, 2021
If it's AMD system that might have impact. For Intel you'd have almost non existent differences. But ddr3 in 2021!! How?
a pc bought in 2015, no need to upgrade till now tbh, and now that i need a full upgrade, gpu prices skyrocketed , so im just hanging their with my ddr3 till gpu prices drop down again and i get a full new system

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
a pc bought in 2015, no need to upgrade till now tbh, and now that i need a full upgrade, gpu prices skyrocketed , so im just hanging their with my ddr3 till gpu prices drop down again and i get a full new system
I'd say upgrade now because once ddr5 is launched, you'd have a price hike on motherboard and Rams till late 2023 as well in addition to current GPU and cpu prices. Because more and more Bitcoin mining is encouraged nowadays. I doubt the situation will be fixed in near future.

I'd say upgrade now because once ddr5 is launched, you'd have a price hike on motherboard and Rams till late 2023 as well in addition to current GPU and cpu prices. Because more and more Bitcoin mining is encouraged nowadays. I doubt the situation will be fixed in near future.
The need for upgrade is little unless you know that you need more cpu power. once DDR5 launched it's probably ok to wait 1-2 years prior to mainstream adaptation, and buy a ddr4 after that year. like what @SamirD said, pay pennies on the dollars :D

The urge of DDR4 platform is promising for it's perfomance but for me i'd like to cut cost since i know it would hold back, so i have the time to spend rethingking about either going amd or intel, wether ddr4 or 5. rather than go all in to ddr4. If the current pricing is really good deal like how cheap is a used ddr3 system is, there is a reason to say "why ddr3 2k21" on ultra cutting edge budget builder who needs the needs on lower cost :tearsofjoy: