Question Is the EVGA 450bv safe to use?

May 26, 2019
My Cyberpowerpc came with the EVGA 450bv PSU. I’ve read that some cyberpowerpc computers come with PSU’s that can fry your computer. So am I safe to continue using this PSU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the gpu and exactly how much power is being used. If you are pushing anything close to 450w, I'd replace the psu with something better, sooner not later. If you are squeaking by on less than 300ish watts, you have more time for choice. Either way it's a bottom of the barrel psu, (there are worse, but those are usually printed mostly in Chinese if there's any print at all) but the list of decent quality psus is vastly larger.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, that's not too shabby actually, should be a decent, serviceable pc for quite a few years. But CyberPowerPC is in the business of making money, and does have overhead, payroll, electric bill and rent to pay, so will bump up prices to do so. Gotta show a profit, or go bankrupt. Which can and usually does mean cutting corners by using cheaper equipment like the psu, since there's 1000 companies branding them but only a dozen OEM making them, competition is fierce. Good for prices, not so good for quality. With cpus, it's AMD or Intel, so you get the genuine thing, mobo's even gpus are limited to a few companies but psus? Woof, it's bad.
CyberPowerPC sticks with the HEC (OEM) in house brand, and Corsair, mostly CX derivitives. Slim pickings, but it's the only way they can offer that price and not lose money.

This is the best quality for the cheapest I could find. It's a Seasonic Focus platform with Antec tweaks.
Power Supply: Antec - Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)

May 26, 2019

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Length of time is unknown. There's just too many variables. Quality control of each individual component, quality control on the buildout, your personal usage, games played, demands by gpu and cpu etc, even as far as the electric stability from the wall, is it closer to 110v with higher amperage draw or closer to 125v with lower draw. Half a hundred different things. You could be good for 12 months or 12 minutes. There's ppl who ran a TR2 for 6 years no issues or a old Corsair CX for over 4 years with no issues and some that didn't even make it through a stability test and 'poof'. There's no guarantee on anything, there's even no absolute saying you have to replace the BV you have now, it's obviously working currently, but overall experience with low end units in general, such as the BV, it becomes not so much a matter of 'if' but 'when' something will happen. The outputs on that BV aren't all that clean, DC voltage is supposed to be a solid, straight voltage, but psus can't do that, convert AC to DC perfectly. So the output always has some ripple in it. The better psus have circuitry to eliminate as much of that ripple as possible, as clean a DC output as it can be, lower end units are to cheap to include as much. So you end up with almost as much as an AC voltage, not so much DC voltage, and that stresses everything, especially when you are trying to get stable voltages in the 1.0v range on cpu, 1.35v on ram etc. Having ram voltage bounce between 1.345 and 1.355v doesn't do any stability any good as amperage draw will change to keep the wattage necessary. All in all, low end units cause more damage over time, with higher chances of failure, so general wisdom demands replace the psu.

Spend $50 on a low end psu or $80 on something far better. That's a measly $30 difference to protect the health and safety of a $1000+ pc. Really cheap insurance when you figure the pc should last you the next 5 years or so.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So how long do you think I have before I “fry” the PC. I’ve been using it since about January 1st and it runs great.
It looks like that PC comes with a 1 year warranty, so even if it did "fry" within that time Cyberpower should replace it. You may even void the warranty by replacing the PSU. Unless you can't tolerate the downtime that might occur in the event of a failure, I'd say you're better off waiting at least until that warranty expires before you look at getting a new PSU. To be honest, given that EVGA warranties those PSUs for 3 years, that indicates that they expect most of them to last at least that long (even if you're not necessarily eligible for that warranty, given you bought through an OEM). So you could even wait for ~3 years, assuming you don't have issues in the meantime.

For now I'd just undervolt your RX 580 to reduce power consumption. Can google "rx 480 undervolt" or similar for an idea of how to do this. The exact numbers may vary but the approach will be the same.

Edit: As far as the quality of the output goes, that PSU is actually pretty decent. So I wouldn't be too concerned about it damaging other components just because of crappy output quality.
https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/09/03/evga-450bv-450w-power-supply/6/

Last edited: