Is the FX 6300 compatible with my motherboard?

GreekTzatziki

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hey guys
I really need to buy a new cpu as my old one is out of date. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-800GM-D2H Rev.4 and since it is an old one it has am3+ socket. I know that this socket is almost dead but I've seen a good deal of the FX 6300 for like 100€. I don't want to change my motherboard to go with Intel or something. If anyone could tell me that it will work fine it would be really appreciated. My power supply is a corsair VS 550 w if that helps.

Solution
No. The FX 4300 uses less power and has fewer modules. The motherboard will handle it well. However, it is slower and less powerful for gaming.

You are in a tough place. I'd be living with what I have now and saving madly for a new motherboard and CPU as soon as possible. You have an 'old tech' system. Any money you put into is mostly wasted.
The FX6300 will fit, and run but it is only a 3+1 power phase motherboard and lacks heatsinks for the VRMs. Overclocking is very inadvisable and you may get thermal throttling of your power delivery under gaming normal use.

I would prefer a better PSU for a gaming machine, but you have what you have. It will work fine. until it dies.

If your computer is for business use, or lower performance tasks, you are fine. For any high performance use, not so much.

It will work, BUT you MAY (likely) get thermal throttling of your CPU when gaming because of your weak power phases and lack of VRMs. Some of this can be mitigated with active cooling of the VRMs, but you will 'wear' the system out faster.

It's not like you have a better choice if you want a more powerful CPU.

No. The FX 4300 uses less power and has fewer modules. The motherboard will handle it well. However, it is slower and less powerful for gaming.

You are in a tough place. I'd be living with what I have now and saving madly for a new motherboard and CPU as soon as possible. You have an 'old tech' system. Any money you put into is mostly wasted.

Solution
The components on your motherboard between the CPU socket and the rear I/O shield that look like grey cubes are MOSFETs that control the power to the CPU. To avoid pushing too much power through small components, the motherboard splits the power needed into separate streams, called phases, and cycles between each power delivery unit, to split the load. The more phases, the less load, each phase has to carry. The components are not completely efficient, so some of the power is converted into heat. If the heat gets too high, the motherboard cuts back on the power delivery to protect the motherboard.

This cutting back on power for protect components from overheating is thermal throttling. It will result in your CPU running at lower speeds than it is capable of.

GreekTzatziki

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

Ok thank you very much