Is the GPU important while encoding videos?

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
I'm using Cyko for encoding my anime to a smaller size. I have two GPUs in my laptop. One is the integrated Intel 4600HD and the other one is GTX950m 2GB. Cyko uses the integrated one by default. Should I leave it that way or should I go to NVIDIA control panel and tell the program to use my stronger GPU? As far as I know encoding is rather CPU based anyway, right? Do you know if this encoding program use both CPU and GPU or just the CPU? I tried to google it but couldn't find anything.

Solution
Cyko appears to be using Handbrake for the encoding work, so the answer is no you aren't using the GPU for encoding. Usually a GPU is used in one of two ways when working on video. One, for hardware acceleration when working on a video clip in an editor, to speed up scrubbing and such. Two, it might be used in rendering the edited video. The kind of encoding you're doing is CPU intensive. You can read up on Handbrake if you want to know more about how it works.
Cyko appears to be using Handbrake for the encoding work, so the answer is no you aren't using the GPU for encoding. Usually a GPU is used in one of two ways when working on video. One, for hardware acceleration when working on a video clip in an editor, to speed up scrubbing and such. Two, it might be used in rendering the edited video. The kind of encoding you're doing is CPU intensive. You can read up on Handbrake if you want to know more about how it works.

Solution