[SOLVED] Is The GTX 1050 TI Compatible with my Dell Optiplex 790 MT

Solution
Alright I got all that so if I can find a gtx 1060 that will fit (after removing the retention tab) I should be good if I get a 500-700 wat power supply and a ssd?
For a couple of years yes, probably keep it around the 500 to 600 watt range though since a higher wattage power supply could be a little longer and not fit as well.
Even if the GPU will fit, and does not need an external PSU connection, your PSU is still likely not powerful enough. It may work, but it could cause damage to the PSU, GPU, or worse if you overload the PSU with a GPU it was not intended for. Dell prebuilts tend to use a PSU strong enough for only the hardware the computer shipped with, and are not able to properly install power hungry upgrades without a PSU upgrade first. You may also have issues with finding a compatible PSU, because Dell likes to make non-standard PSU form factors, and a regular PSU may not fit inside the case properly.

Oct 4, 2021
Even if the GPU will fit, and does not need an external PSU connection, your PSU is still likely not powerful enough. It may work, but it could cause damage to the PSU, GPU, or worse if you overload the PSU with a GPU it was not intended for. Dell prebuilts tend to use a PSU strong enough for only the hardware the computer shipped with, and are not able to properly install power hungry upgrades without a PSU upgrade first. You may also have issues with finding a compatible PSU, because Dell likes to make non-standard PSU form factors, and a regular PSU may not fit inside the case properly.
any power supplies that can fit in the dell Optiplex 790?

I do not know where to find them, or if they exist. You will have to look around, and you might have to try to find another Dell PSU from a more powerful Optiplex in order to have a compatible upgrade. Dell SFF prebuilts are not great for upgrading, due to the number of custom, non standard, parts. Someone else here might know where to find an upgrade for your PSU, but as a SFF build, a regular PSU is not going to fit, that is for sure.

Oct 4, 2021
I do not know where to find them, or if they exist. You will have to look around, and you might have to try to find another Dell PSU from a more powerful Optiplex in order to have a compatible upgrade. Dell SFF prebuilts are not great for upgrading, due to the number of custom, non standard, parts. Someone else here might know where to find an upgrade for your PSU, but as a SFF build, a regular PSU is not going to fit, that is for sure.
I have the regular Desktop Build not the SFF and I found a power supply that is compatible

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...us-power-supply-black/6339087.p?skuId=6339087

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Certified-Continuous-Active-PS-SPD-0700NPCWUS-W/dp/B014W3EAX8

thanks for the help with the psu

Make sure you get a good PSU, a cheaper PSU is not worth the headache they can cause. This is a good list to base your choice of PSU on.

artk2219

Distinguished
any power supplies that can fit in the dell Optiplex 790?

So long as its the mid tower, most power supplies should fit. I had an issue with a longer 650W power supply fitting and i had to slight modify the case, but anything 550w or below should have no troubles since thats just a regular ATX motherboard with regular ATX mount holes and spacing for the power supply on the case. I've paired the Optiplex 790, 7010, 3020, and 9020 towers with RX 470, 570, 480, 580's and even R9 390(X)'s in the past with an intake fan added and theyve worked fine as gaming platforms, although you do have to drill out and remove the drive trays with the longer graphics cards, remove the retaining tab on the back of the PCIE socket, and trim down the retaining tab that holds the card to the back of the case since it can interfere with the fit of the card.

Oct 4, 2021
So long as its the mid tower, most power supplies should fit. I had an issue with a longer 650W power supply fitting and i had to slight modify the case, but anything 550w or below should have no troubles since thats just a regular ATX motherboard with regular ATX mount holes and spacing for the power supply on the case. I've paired the Optiplex 790, 7010, 3020, and 9020 towers with RX 470, 570, 480, 580's and even R9 390(X)'s in the past with an intake fan added and theyve worked fine as gaming platforms, although you do have to drill out and remove the drive trays with the longer graphics cards, remove the retaining tab on the back of the PCIE socket, and trim down the retaining tab that holds the card to the back of the case since it can interfere with the fit of the card.

Wow ok thanks, quick question I'm trying to achieve a 50-60 fps experience on warzone as my first time can I get a gtx 1060 inside the mid-tower? and if not what other gpu can you recommend me that fits and could get me a 50-60 fps experience in most modern game titles?

artk2219

Distinguished
What resolution and performance levels are you trying to hit? If you're going for 720p low then you should be able to hit 50 to 60 fps with many cards, pretty much an RX 550 or GT 1050 2GB GDDR5 would work for that. So long as its about the same dimensions as that RX 470 in one of the pictures you should be able to slot it into that case without removing the drive bays, you'll still likely still need to remove the blue retention clip at the back of the pcie slot with some needle nose pliers though. Cards to get if you can find one would be a GTX 970, 1060, 1650 or better, R9 290(X), 390(X), Fury(X), RX 470, 480, 570, 580, 590 or better. With your minimums being a GTX 1050 or RX 550, with preferably 4GB if you can find it at a decent price, technically a GT 1030 will also game if you tweak everything low, but its a little weak.

Card Dimension (cm) : 24 x 12.1 x 4
Card Dimension (inch) : 9.45 x 4.76 x 1.57

Oct 4, 2021
What resolution and performance levels are you trying to hit? If you're going for 720p low then you should be able to hit 50 to 60 fps with many cards, pretty much an RX 550 or GT 1050 2GB GDDR5 would work for that. So long as its about the same dimensions as that RX 470 in one of the pictures you should be able to slot it into that case without removing the drive bays, you'll still likely still need to remove the blue retention clip at the back of the pcie slot with some needle nose pliers though. Cards to get if you can find one would be a GTX 970, 1060, 1650 or better, R9 290(X), 390(X), Fury(X), RX 470, 480, 570, 580, 590 or better. With your minimums being a GTX 1050 or RX 550, with preferably 4GB if you can find it at a decent price, technically a GT 1030 will also game if you tweak everything low, but its a little weak.

so i7 2600 16gb ram and a gtx 1060 would work with the dell optiplex 790? and warzone at 1080p?

artk2219

Distinguished
Alright last question sorry if I’m bothering you but will it fit/work (gtx 1060) if I get a new psu?
View: https://imgur.com/a/nqKcDMb

So long as you find one that fits in that case and you upgrade the PSU to a decent one with enough wattage it'll have no problem working in that computer. For reference here are the dimensions for that RX 470 thats pictured in the second build thats in that linked imgur album, that fits with little modification. You'll still likely need to remove the blue retention tab behind the PCIE socket, and keep an eye out on the sata cables since you may need to change those to flat headed cables if your card protrudes over them. You may also want to consider adding an SSD as your boot drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...ocphy=9010796&hvtargid=pla-569175480446&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-...102e4&pd_rd_wg=to6N0&pd_rd_i=B00KTLGDZG&psc=1

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021
Alright I got all that so if I can find a gtx 1060 that will fit (after removing the retention tab) I should be good if I get a 500-700 wat power supply and a ssd?