[SOLVED] Is the gtx 970 twin frozr v going to fit in my PCI 2.0 x58 motherboard?

MejiMOCO

Commendable
Aug 29, 2019
Hi, i was looking for a msi gtx 970 twin frozr v to replace my Gt 730 , is it going to fit? Is it going to need more power supply?

My pc specs:

Processor: i7 980x Extreme Edition 3.33GHz

Motherboard: P6TD Deluxe Edition x58 PCI 2.0

Ram: 24 gb all slots filled

GPU: Msi GT 730 4GB

Power supply: It came free with the case , 500w

Its going to fit or its going to need a better power supply? Thanks for helping

Solution
Yes, it will fit. Might have to move some cables out of the way but it should fit. BUT before you put that shiny new card in there do a good cleaning: Invest in some canned air and blow it out really well. Carefully wipe off what you can.
Might even remove the cooler from on top of your CPU, thoroughly clean the cooler and remove the thermal compound/pad with some 91 or 99% isopropyl alcohol and replace the thermal compound with new stuff before re-installing the cooler.
You're going to be shocked at the difference in performance with the new video card!

01swodniW

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
NVidia recommends a 500w power supply, though I think a better power supply would probably be safer. It probably wouldn't blow up, but it is possible it could fail sooner. It's up to you.

Yes, it will fit into the top most blue PCIex slot. PCIe 3.0 video cards are backward compatable with 2.0 and 1.0 PCIe slots. The question then becomes, will it fit into your case? The card is just shy of 11" long and you should have an inch or two beyond that for air flow or cables.
I would consider 01swodniW's advise; seriously consider replacing your old power supply with a name brand 550 or 600. They can be had from Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic for reasonable prices and might just save your PC: PSU's supplied with cases are notoriously bad.

MejiMOCO

Commendable
Aug 29, 2019
Yes, it will fit into the top most blue PCIex slot. PCIe 3.0 video cards are backward compatable with 2.0 and 1.0 PCIe slots. The question then becomes, will it fit into your case? The card is just shy of 11" long and you should have an inch or two beyond that for air flow or cables.
I would consider 01swodniW's advise; seriously consider replacing your old power supply with a name brand 550 or 600. They can be had from Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic for reasonable prices and might just save your PC: PSU's supplied with cases are notoriously bad.

I have take some pictures of my motherboard and my case, its a fanatic case, here are the pictures, tell me if the gtx 970 twin frozr would fit on it, if you need more detailed pictures, pls tell me

That MSI thing is my GT 730 4GB DDR3
The card under the GT 730 is a wifi card (it doesnt matter, im going to remove it and get a ethernet cable
View: https://m.imgur.com/a/khuRk7b

Yes, it will fit. Might have to move some cables out of the way but it should fit. BUT before you put that shiny new card in there do a good cleaning: Invest in some canned air and blow it out really well. Carefully wipe off what you can.
Might even remove the cooler from on top of your CPU, thoroughly clean the cooler and remove the thermal compound/pad with some 91 or 99% isopropyl alcohol and replace the thermal compound with new stuff before re-installing the cooler.
You're going to be shocked at the difference in performance with the new video card!

Reactions: MejiMOCO
Solution