[SOLVED] Is the hd 7970(r9 280x) has the same performance as a GTX 780?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
my neighbor has a yard sell of 2 of these GPU 1 is the r9 280x selling for $70 the other is a GTX 780 selling for $80, those are some good deals so i decided to buy 1 but i can't decide which one to buy so my neighbor decide to not sell these 2 GPU to anyone and gave me 2 days to choose these GPU. So the question is is the r9 280x the same performance as a GTX 780 , I heard that Kepler technology age poorly and gcn architecture age like fine wine, so is it true the r9 280x is now the same performance as a GTX 780 even though the r9 280x has a cheaper MSRP than a GTX 780? If i go for the r9 280x i would at least save $10 to spend on other things.

Solution
GTX780 is certainly the faster card. And for $10, probably worth it. Both should be 3GB cards, so no advantage if you were to aim for higher resolutions.

Keep in mind these are both fairly old, driver support for Nvidia Kepler has ended, doesn't mean it won't work for several more years, just that there will be no updates for potential future problems and no new games will see performance tweaking.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
my neighbor has a yard sell of 2 of these GPU 1 is the r9 280x selling for $70 the other is a GTX 780 selling for $80, those are some good deals so i decided to buy 1 but i can't decide which one to buy so my neighbor decide to not sell these 2 GPU to anyone and gave me 2 days to choose these GPU. So the question is is the r9 280x the same performance as a GTX 780 , I heard that Kepler technology age poorly and gcn architecture age like fine wine, so is it true the r9 280x is now the same performance as a GTX 780 even though the r9 280x has a cheaper MSRP than a GTX 780? If i go for the r9 280x i would at least save $10 to spend on other things.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GTX780 is certainly the faster card. And for $10, probably worth it. Both should be 3GB cards, so no advantage if you were to aim for higher resolutions.

Keep in mind these are both fairly old, driver support for Nvidia Kepler has ended, doesn't mean it won't work for several more years, just that there will be no updates for potential future problems and no new games will see performance tweaking.

Solution