[SOLVED] Is the i3 8350k worth it for $169.99

ZW____

Honorable
May 10, 2017
Is the i3 8350k worth it for $169.99, is it basically a i5 7600k/ i5 6600k which has similar gaming performance to a i7 7700k, and does i3 8350k have similar gaming performance to i7 7700k?

Solution
Yes, I agree with the above and I have firsthand experience. A 4 threaded cpu should not be considered for gaming when 12 threaded CPUs like the 2600 exist for less money, have cheaper motherboards, and include a stock cooler.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It doesn't have hyperthredding so games that need more than 4 cores (which more are becoming available) it'll lose, also considering it's $170 (more than a ryzen 2600) doesn't come with a stock cooler and requires a z series motherboard to overclock it and make it actually decent I'd say it's definitely only useful for someone planning to play a game like csgo exclusively

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3886958/4790k-8350k.html was only a 10th the story? I think it is worth it.

I'd steer clear of the 1600 Ryzen due to RAM pickiness.

Let's say you purchase the 2600 and all the trimmings... Then what do you do down the road when you want to upgrade again? A new board, RAM and CPU. With the 8350 in play you have an upgrade path which adds value.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You're completely backwards. The 8350 is completely dead end. Every processor that will ever fit in that socket has already been released. With the 2600 you'll certainly get the option of 3000 series ryzen and most likely 4000 as well. 3rd gen ryzen already showed the ryzen 5 series chips slightly beat a 9900k...

Intel® Core™ i3-8350K Processor (8M Cache, 4.00 GHz) alive

FX 8350 Black Edition Octa Core Processor dead

I wasn't aware that the future generations would be compatible. I agree with the 2600

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You know I meant the 8350k.. and it's dead as well. The 9 series chips will fit in that motheboard but they're already released. Nothing that doesn't exist today will work in that socket = dead

Amds CEO has guaranteed am4 compatibly through 2020... Which definitely covers 3000 series, some.debate on the 4000 series as 2020 could just mean the apus based on 7nm tech that'll likely be released in 2020... That'll cover her telling the truth but possibly being dishonest at the same time.

AtariST

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013
Is the i3 8350k worth it for $169.99, is it basically a i5 7600k/ i5 6600k which has similar gaming performance to a i7 7700k, and does i3 8350k have similar gaming performance to i7 7700k?

It's hard to tell. Do you already have a compatible motherboard?

If yes, then all of these 2600's are cheaper replies aren't as valid?

If no and you need to buy a motherboard in addition to the processor, then I agree with the replies pointing you to greater bang for the buck AMDs. $170 is too much for that processor when compared to the cheaper 2600, slightly more expensive 2600X and not too much more expensive 2700. Especially when the AMD boards tend to run a little cheaper too.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
The Ryzen 5 2600 is the best value in this price range period. 8th gen intel is basically dead unless you want to shell out for a Z390 board but that’s a waste of money for an i3 and will only provide you an upgrade path to the 9th gen series. A 2600 with a nice B450 board (which allows OC) will be cheaper and better than a 8350k with a similarly priced H310 board(which does not allow OC). That’s the end of the debate. The i3 might excel in some single thread workloads but you will not notice it in real world usage. Buy the Ryzen or wait and see what intel does this year.

Last edited:
It's odd (to me, anyway) that the Z370/Z390 platform is somehow referred to as 'dead end', while some are virtually frothing at the mouth with praise over another platform's ability to dispose of a currently owned CPU and perhaps replace/upgrade it with another CPU that matches the 'dead end' 9900K's performance.... when the new CPU releases ....~5 months from now....

Ponder those deep-thought 'CPU-wars thought bits' and, perhaps a little element of the humorous irony of that situation for a little while.... :)

Z370 is a dead end. The fastest cpus for that platform have already been launched. Even z390 is a dead end for the same reason. Intel releases new chipsets with support for a new generation about every other week. This makes your cpu obsolete quickly and without a new motherboard you cannot get a modern cpu. AM4 is still getting new cpus released to and AMD has pledged to support AM4 untill 2020. It is hard to argue its a dead end since it has a support period 3 times longer than any modern intel platform i ever have seen. You can buy a cpu in 2017 and still get latest tech without a new mobo 3 years later, something intel hasnt done in forever. I would say ryzen has really changed the industry by offering good cpus for cheap. People are always interested in getting a good deal, imagine it like people getting ready for black friday.
We all will have to wait to see what ryzen brings to see whether the hype is worth it.

g-unit1111

Titan
The Ryzen 5 2600 is the best value in this price range period. 8th gen intel is basically dead unless you want to shell out for a Z390 board but that’s a waste of money for an i3 and will only provide you an upgrade path to the 9th gen series. A 2600 with a nice B450 board (which allows OC) will be cheaper and better than a 8350k with a similarly priced H310 board(which does not allow OC). That’s the end of the debate. The i3 might excel in some single thread workloads but you will not notice it in real world usage. Buy the Ryzen or wait and see what intel does this year.

Yes, I agree, I'd go for the R5-2600 over the i3-8350K. If you're going for upgrade possibilities you will have 3rd and 4th generation Ryzens to look forward to. Otherwise with Intel you're stuck with Z390 until you buy a new motherboard.

You can buy a cpu in 2017 and still get latest tech without a new mobo 3 years later,
Yeah try to do that,your new CPU will run the same way your 2017 CPU would run,ZEN+ on older zen mobos already looses the better mem controller which is the only (or at least the main) reason that ZEN+ is faster.
It is the same kind of humbug AMD pulled on AM3 when they released the E models with half the clocks to not break their promise to people that their old mobos would support 8core CPUs...

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It's odd (to me, anyway) that the Z370/Z390 platform is somehow referred to as 'dead end', while some are virtually frothing at the mouth with praise over another platform's ability to dispose of a currently owned CPU and perhaps replace/upgrade it with another CPU that matches the 'dead end' 9900K's performance.... when the new CPU releases ....~5 months from now....

Ponder those deep-thought 'CPU-wars thought bits' and, perhaps a little element of the humorous irony of that situation for a little while.... :)

That was the ryzen 5 that slightly beat it in stock form ~6months ahead of release with crap bios/drivers. Additionally am4 should be supported through 2020 meaning it may likely get the 4000 series as an option. Dead is dead there's no actual arguing otherwise.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah try to do that,your new CPU will run the same way your 2017 CPU would run,ZEN+ on older zen mobos already looses the better mem controller which is the only (or at least the main) reason that ZEN+ is faster.
It is the same kind of humbug AMD pulled on AM3 when they released the E models with half the clocks to not break their promise to people that their old mobos would support 8core CPUs...

The memory controller is ON the cpu.. so nice try there. Might dirt cheap a320 boards have issues if AMD does release a 16c version sure, but if they managed to make a 65w 8core chip beat a 9900k then a 16c won't be 120w as some of the stuff was the o die. So basically any Board that won't overheat the vrms overclocking a 1800x won't have any issue with the next gen

The INTERNAL memory controller is as suphaos said, INTERNAL. It is part of the ryzen soc baked into the processor. It has been this way for many years with both intel and amd. Am4 launched in 2016 and ryzen in 2017, and am4 has support for a minimum of 4 years. You can buy mid range b350 board and 3 years later plop in whater the latest cpu is without a hitch (what i plan to do and upgrade to a 7nm 6 core) New cpus dont need a new chipset, just a bios update,unlike intel. Think of z270 and how it was obsolete a year after when new cpus were launched.

Last edited: