Is the Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake compatible with my system?

Marcus0410

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Hey,

I want to buy a new processor for my gaming pc and have been recommended to buy the Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake processor. The problem is that I dont know if it is compatible with my PC.

Specs:
Intel core i5-4440s 2.8 ghz
Asus k30ad m31ad m51ad motherboard
500W Delta dps-500ab-6

Thanks a lot for helping!

Solution
What exactly, do you do with your PC? I'm not sure a cpu upgrade is necessary for you. Are you unhappy with your PC's performance? In what way is it not fast enough? What are the rest of the parts that you did not list?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
No it's not. You need to stick with an i5 or i7 that starts with 4 like the i5 4460, i5 4590, i5 4690, i7 4770, or i7 4790.

Actually, depending on how old it is, you would maybe need to update your motherboard's BIOS first.

Marcus0410

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016

Which one do you recommend? Or should i buy new computer parts?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
What exactly, do you do with your PC? I'm not sure a cpu upgrade is necessary for you. Are you unhappy with your PC's performance? In what way is it not fast enough? What are the rest of the parts that you did not list?

Solution

Marcus0410

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016

I have 8GB of ram and a GTX 1070. I use my PC for intense gaming and browsing The internet.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
If you could tell me exactly which motherboard you have, I could check your BIOS ver

If not, you should find an i5 4670 or i7 4770. These are probably the only to cpus worth upgrading to that I can guarantee would work without any fuss.

Also, you may want to look at upgrading your PSU before you upgrade anything else. Delta is not one of the higher rated PSU manufacturers.
The PSU is the heart of your system, without it NOTHING works! The PSU is the only component,that if it fails, can destroy all of your other components. Never "cheap out" on the PSU, it is false economy!

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Delta is not one of the higher rated PSU manufacturers.

Actually, Delta is quite possibly THE BEST psu manufacturer out there. At LEAST top 3 without argument.

But your advice is not bad. That specific Delta psu was not made for heavy gaming uses. I would probably upgrade the psu sooner than later.