Is the ltt screwdriver worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on if you already have tools doesn't it?

A set of precision electronics screwdrivers, like 15 bucks at the old radio shack, has served me well 99% of the time for PC building. Small enough to avoid over tightening anything, and small enough for most awkward jobs. Plus a long shaft Philips for the longer jobs.

I've also found small hex drivers to be useful for stubborn standoffs which that screw driver doesn't do.

They still make them under the stanley brand. Only 10 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Tool...ronics+screwdriver+set+6+piece,aps,99&sr=8-28

D

Deleted member 14196

Lol. Get a good Stanley or something good. Listen, it’s not a sonic screwdriver like Doctor Who carries.

I bought a similar one from RadioShack years and years ago and that thing still rules. My friend always takes it uses it when he’s here. And that was cheap.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also interesting, where is it being manufactured to worth $70?

Same place as all the other screw drivers. Cost differences come down to design and materials choice, quality control, volume, etc. Linus' run is decently sized, but nowhere near what a big customer like a bespoke hardware company would order. So his unit cost is high, and if the quality is really there, that on top of it. Plus he has to pay for bulk shipping, then pay his staff to ship it to you and all of that support, and still have a profit margin to make it worthwhile.

If you like LMG as a concept, you are basically helping to pay their salaries. Not a bad thing by any means.

I have some GN merch, for example, and I like that they donate to charities during their livestreams. So I've picked up a few things.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
A screwdriver is a screwdriver.
As everyone here can attest to, a 20$ toolset will last you a very very long time with no issues
As much as I love ltt for being the greatest tech mind of our generation on par with Steve Jobs, I'd say this 70$ screwdriver pet project of his is very silly and for most of us who don't have money to literally throw out the window, a waste of money.
I'm sure his screwdriver is good. But it will do the exact same thing as a toolset you can buy on amazon for 20$.

I personally say no, Not saying its a bad screw driver, could be the best thing out there, but at least here, I can buy a cheap Hobofright screw driver, and get 10 years out of it easy, like the one I use now. Can get other brands the have a better handle better warranty, so many options that I see $70 just not being worth it unless you want to support him, they hey, more power to ya.

I also really dislike ratcheting screw drivers, If I wanted a ratcheting screw driver, I'd just get one of them little power screw drivers, but even then I'd just use a normal standard screw driver, I can tell when a screw is overly tight or too loose far easier than a ratcheting drive, the hobofright one I use has a plastic handle and the bit flips to a flat head, pull the shaft out, and its a smaller philips or flat head which also fits most m3 screws.

Thats my opinion, Im also like that with Snap-on, Yeah they got great tools, they come out to you to replace the broken tool, but if the guy quits, retires, or services a different area, you might be <Mod Edit> out of luck with Snap-on, you have to find them, or call the truck and hope he can swing by your shop, ask me how I know, Im not waiting for 3 weeks for a Snap-on truck to replace one of their crappy brake caliper tools, when I can go to any part store and buy something that can still do the job ya know. Ended up dropping them because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

logainofhades

Titan
His screwdriver is expensive, but it's no worse than similar products, from other brands like say Snap-On.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Sta...heting-Standard-Screwdriver-(Orange)/SSDMR4BO

As seen in that project farm video, the LTT one was cheaper than some, and held up well against them. Problem with a lot of cheap screwdrivers is the magnet is weak, which just ends up on a screw falling somewhere, like the cheap Walmart Hyper Tough, i-fixit clone, set that I have.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
i am thinking of getting the ltt screwdriver from lttstore.com/product/screwdriver
and im wondering is it worth it?

$70, for a screwdriver with 12 bits and a magnet is an absolute complete ripoff. There is nothing that screwdriver can do that this $21 quality name brand one on Amazon can't do just as well

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-32305-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B08KFMHQCP/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ratcheting+screwdriver+set&qid=1676035084&sprefix=ratcheting+screwdriver,aps,112&sr=8-5

However if you are VERY techy and looking to spend $70, this set from iFixit comes with every possible specialty bit you can imagine in multiple sizes and is infinitely more useful than the LTT screwdriver. You can take apart almost any device with this, even ones with weird security screws and such.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Manta-Driver-Kit--112-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-392

As much as I love ltt for being the greatest tech mind of our generation on par with Steve Jobs

This is the funniest thing I read all week.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Status
Not open for further replies.