Question Is the Maelstrom 240T from Deepcool good?

Apr 26, 2019
I want to buy that Liquid Cooler, Now the question is is the pump and the other elements good? Is it enough for my Ryzen 5 1600? (Stock speed, I wont overclock it) And is there many coolers that leaked?

Yeah but the captain models have more leaks

And you have proof of this, or you're just magically pulling this out of the air or giving credit to some random user who claimed it was true? I've seen no such pattern of leaks on Deepcool captain coolers and in fact they have very good reviews and honestly I've never seen not ONE single instance of anybody on this or any other forum claiming they do.

I'm quite sure you can find videos and forum threads about leaks on EVERY model that's out there, because they ALL have the potential for leakage. I've not seen any indications that any one model is more predisposed to leakage than any other. Plus, you should learn by now to take what you see on Youtube with a very FAT grain of salt. What one guy sees he automatically tends to think is gospel across the board, and obviously that's not the case in every case, or in any case for that matter.

Mealstorm = What happens at the soup kitchen at about 5pm each day. LOL. Ok, just kidding. Had to make a joke on the misspelling there.

Seriously though, you're worried about leaks and you want to use a CHEAPER cooler? If you want a cooler that doesn't leak, you are a lot more likely to get that in a more expensive model, although TBH none of the newer units are highly prone to leakage. I'm sure it happens, even with the best of units, but I'm equally sure the chances are much higher on cheaper and on older, designs, like the Maelstrom. I can't even find a review for the Maelstrom that is newer than 2014, making that design roughly five years old.

If you're worried about leaks, using a newer design that has incorporated fixes for all of the previously found problems in a given model seems like a much wiser idea to me.

Reactions: liamwhalley20

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
I bought the maelstrom because it was on sale at scan, my friend also has the maelstrom and swears by it so I thought it was good enough for me, which it turns out it most definitely is, I found a table before buying which put in the second tier of cooling performance and I have still yet to see a post about them leaking and I have tried to find them as i am a very sceptical person but honestly I think it is a great cooler, comes with 2 years warranty which covers leaks and any other components that may be damaged by the aio leak (I checked with deepcool to confirm) and it definitely performs above my expectations

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
They are about the same as most 360 AIOs if I am comparing to the 280mm and other 240/280/360 options from others.

There are relatively negligible differences between nearly every boxed AIO, usually less than 10% performance delta. I wish this was more widely understood.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would also argue that most people think they're wanting to buy an AIO 'because liquid cooling', but have no concept about how AIOs work, how well they do (and don't) work as well as how they perform compared to good/great air cooling. They have been getting a little better, but mainly due to larger radiator sizes (280mm/360mm).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Would also add be quiet! Dark Rock 4 and 4 Pro.

Google searching for 'best CPU air cooling' turns up literally hundreds of pages of results.

Read, research, decide. Stop letting complete strangers on the internet tell you what to spend your own money on - inform yourself, empower yourself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I had a NZXT X61. That's a 280mm AIO and it worked like a champ for 6 years, in fact it still works, but one of the fans developed a bad bearing. So on a whim, I replaced it with a Cryorig R1 Ultimate, which I got on sale for $49. Pretty good deal since it bangs heads with a Noctua NH-D15 and is a fraction better than a D15S.

2nd guessing that decision, but that price was a factor. That supposedly really quiet aircooler is seriously louder than the old X61, at any rpm. At less than 900rpm the X61's stock fans were almost dead silent. But since I dropped my OC from 4.9GHz to 4.6GHz, the overhead afforded by the 280mm wasn't needed, the air cooler works just the same, equitable temps. It's just noisy. (to me).

Fact is, liquid or air is all equitable, in their respective areas. A 120mm AIO is equitable to a 140w budget air like a CM hyper212 evo, a 280mm is equitable to the biggest air coolers, and the 140mm equal the mid range etc. But thats temp performance. The only advantage liquids offer in range is that air coolers can only get so big, a NH-D15 is 250w+, a 280mm is 300-350w, a 360mm is 350-450w. But if your cpu is only outputting 150w, air = liquid, headroom is useless.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Marketing by these vendors also doesn't happen - they prey on the fact that they continually lead unknowing buyers into believing they are getting a superior product and, heck, what a price discount.

AIO boxed coolers do not perform on the same level as custom watercooling or high-end kits, but of course, no one outright markets this, either, so it is perpetuated through misinformed consumers.

Truth is, nearly all AIOs sold in the world are made by one of 3 or 4 OEMs...especially in the United States to the Asetek copyright...dozens and dozens of brands and models and if you choose any pair of the same size radiator, there is a very good chance that many of the internal and external components are nearly identical.

Just consider the fact that an AIO is a pump, block, radiator, tubing, coolant and sometimes fittings for the price of a SINGLE watercooling component from this list:

pump
block
radiator
reservoir (sometimes)

Now, stop and consider why there would be such a price difference...quality and performance of each component by comparison.