Question Is the RX 5700 XT enough for 1440p 144hz gaming?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Not sure if I should get the 5700 XT or wait for the 2080 super. Objectively it seems like the 5700 XT would be a better deal, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to handle my display

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I’m planning to upgrade my PC. I decided on most of my components. I’m gonna use the ryzen 3700x along with the MSI X570 gaming pro carbon wifi. I plan on overclocking my CPU and GPU. I was thinking of getting the RTX 2070 super, but I want to be able to use ray tracing in games that provide it and still maintain good FPS while doing so. Can the RTX 2070 super handle that at 1440p? I can downgrade to 1080p or get the 2080 super instead if necessary

I’m planning to upgrade my PC. I decided on most of my components. I’m gonna use the ryzen 3700x along with the MSI X570 gaming pro carbon wifi. I plan on overclocking my CPU and GPU. I was thinking of getting the RTX 2070 super, but I want to be able to use ray tracing in games that provide it and still maintain good FPS while doing so. Can the RTX 2070 super handle that at 1440p? I can downgrade to 1080p or get the 2080 super instead if necessary

À 2080ti wont even do 1440p with Ray tracing.

You might get medium to light Ray traced effects on 1080p.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I’m debating between getting one of the RTX super cards or the RX 5700 XT. The 5700 XT seems like a better price/performance deal, but it doesn’t support ray tracing unlike the RTX cards. I know that not many games have ray tracing right now, but I’m not really concerned about that. I’m mainly wondering if the effect that ray tracing has on games is worth the extra money. I would most likely have to invest a few hundred more dollars into one of the RTX super graphics cards and a g sync monitor compared to the RX 5700 XT with a FreeSync monitor, and from what I understand, ray tracing can cripple your performance a little and usually requires you to lower settings. However, doom eternal is going to support ray tracing, and I’m mainly upgrading my PC so I can play doom eternal with better graphics, since I’m anticipating it more than I’ve anticipated any other game. For anyone who has used or at least looked into ray tracing, what do you think I should do?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Totally subjective.

To me, it's still too new to be viable to the masses. A generational refresh/increase or two before it's really fit for purpose. But that's just my opinion.

If you prefer eye candy over raw framerates, it's a nice feature, but there can be a substantial hit to performance for this eye candy feature. The minimum I'd aim for would be a 2070 Super, if you really wanted to go that route. I'm really not sure why an RTX 2060 even exists in all honesty. From what I've seen, it just doesn't have the power to net 'good' framerates with higher settings and RT.

Given the 5700XT runs a 2070 Super pretty close in raw performance (depending on the specific title), yet is price comparative with a 2060 Super, and that Ray Tracing is far from universally adopted currently, I'd say the 5700XT would be the better buy*.

*However, it's probably worth waiting for the AIB 5700XT's that'll be launching soon enough. The blower design leaves a lot to be desired.

Sort answear no its not worth it and i am not just a hater i already own the RTX 2080. Dlls?? No , you will always turn it off it makes the image so blury you will never want to use it for just some fps. I own the card for half a year and i just used it for one game metro exodus at 1440p and average like 50-60fps at rtx high details because at ultra the game was unplayable. I tried it once in bfv but in online games you really dont want to enable it. The difference in quality you get is not that big too if you count the fps you lose.

Last edited:
I’m debating between getting one of the RTX super cards or the RX 5700 XT. The 5700 XT seems like a better price/performance deal, but it doesn’t support ray tracing unlike the RTX cards. I know that not many games have ray tracing right now, but I’m not really concerned about that. I’m mainly wondering if the effect that ray tracing has on games is worth the extra money. I would most likely have to invest a few hundred more dollars into one of the RTX super graphics cards and a g sync monitor compared to the RX 5700 XT with a FreeSync monitor, and from what I understand, ray tracing can cripple your performance a little and usually requires you to lower settings. However, doom eternal is going to support ray tracing, and I’m mainly upgrading my PC so I can play doom eternal with better graphics, since I’m anticipating it more than I’ve anticipated any other game. For anyone who has used or at least looked into ray tracing, what do you think I should do?

You really don't buy the RTX cards just for the Ray Tracing.

People buy them because they are more powerful than the last gen.

I do use Ray Tracing in the games that I run that have it, but I have a 2080ti and play at 1440P.

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I know there aren’t any benchmarks for the 2080 super yet, but assuming it falls in between the regular 2080 and 2080 ti (being closer to the 2080), do you guys think the 2080 super or 5700 XT would be the better buy?

The 5700 and 5700XT seem well (or at least reasonably) priced in comparison to the 2060, 2060 Super, 2070, and 2070 Super....; the 2060 and 2070 were their competition, not the 2080. ..or 2080 Super

The least expensive RTX2080 is about $629...; not sure what the price of the 2080 Super will be, but, you will have to decide if it's increased performance and price (undoubtedly $200-$300 extra) are worth the premiums above the cost of the 5700XT...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14618/the-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-review/7

Certainly the 5700XT will be the 'better buy', as buying something that's even 20% faster now costs 50-60% more when well above 'mid-range' (sadly, $350-$450 these days)....

it really depends if you really need the performance uplift or not. those 5700s might be good for value but for some people that kind performance might not be enough. then they will have no choice to look for even faster solution like 2080ti. when you step into high end territory "value metric" will start dropping significantly.

are you in the hurry to get new GPU? if not maybe you can wait until Doom Eternal coming out and see if RT really worth it and decide which GPU will serve your needs better. although if you were the type that like to wait you might be tempted to wait for nvidia next gen since nvidia will release their next gen GPU in 2020 time frame haha. although i dare to bet it won't coming in H2 2020. still it all depends on how the competition is doing. if AMD end up being more competitive with their Navi nvidia might release them late H1 2020.

Alliasjay

Honorable
May 28, 2014
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I608LGZcD-s

5700xt is starting to look really good with undervolting and overclocking. It's starting to match a 2080/radeon 7 for such a cheaper price. Just need a decent cooler. Going with the Accelero Xtreme IV myself because such a good cooler, past experience. This card may be able to boost upto 2300hz like huh? :) zen 2 and navi cards :D nice one AMD.

I have a 2060 atm, not the greatest but already ordered the XT which will go with this 3900x. Sod ray tracing, i mean it's a great concept but just not enough games for it yet, also the price to run it properly >.< yeah pass on that until a few years down the line maybe.