[SOLVED] Is the Ryzen 7 3700x an overkill just for gaming?

Apr 7, 2021
Hi!

I'm gonna do gaming sessions(mostly triple aaa games like Tomb Raider series, R6S but not hardcore ones like Cyberpunk etc.) and might do streaming or some other stuffs like music editing and I'm not sure if it's gonna be a good pair with a RTX 2060(can't go higher than that for now).
I don't do rendering or 3D stuff and such but I might do in the future.

Solution
... With current prices, I would get the 3700x and upgrade to a 5800x/5900x couple of years later.
Hmmm....I have a 3700X myself and I've a hard time finding a 5800X upgrade to be worth it, not even at MSRP. The bottom line up-lift in performance is there but just not enough to justify that cost, not from a 3700X. From a 2700X maybe...certainly from a 1700 which I also have. Maybe if all I ever did with it was rendering or something similar, but I'm just a casual video trans-coder and it's simply not worth it for gaming. I can't even justify a 5600X upgrade since more processor won't help with most trip-A games since I play them at 1440p and performance in trans-coding will most likely come out a wash.

A 5900X upgrade...
The games you have mentioned are pretty CPU intensive with lots of CPU usage, so 3700x should not be an overkill...
It will be a good choice for everything that you intend to do.

Reactions: Krotow and FrostGh
Hi!

I'm gonna do gaming sessions(mostly triple aaa games like Tomb Raider series, R6S but not hardcore ones like Cyberpunk etc.) and might do streaming or some other stuffs like music editing and I'm not sure if it's gonna be a good pair with a RTX 2060(can't go higher than that for now).
I don't do rendering or 3D stuff and such but I might do in the future.
What will it be paired with aside from the 2060? Mainly motherbord, but memory too.

It's 8 cores/16 threads might be a bit more than most games need but I agree it's going to do a good job of it. But if given an option I'd go for a 5600X instead as it's much better for gaming alone. Even in those games where 8 cores might help the superior performance of the 6 Zen 3 cores should even it up but in everything else be much better.

But it has to be an option: generally that means available and not at scalper's prices, and a suitable motherboard. But if it's not an option in triple-A gaming it's really the GPU that carries the load, especially at 1440p where the graphics are amazing.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021
What will it be paired with aside from the 2060? Mainly motherbord, but memory too.

It's 8 cores/16 threads might be a bit more than most games need but I agree it's going to do a good job of it. But if given an option I'd go for a 5600X instead as it's much better for gaming alone. Even in those games where 8 cores might help the superior performance of the 6 Zen 3 cores should even it up but in everything else be much better.

But it has to be an option: generally that means available and not at scalper's prices, and a suitable motherboard. But if it's not an option in triple-A gaming it's really the GPU that carries the load, especially at 1440p where the graphics are amazing.
My 2nd gpu choice would be the gtx 1660super and my motherboard is the mag b550 tomahawk with gskill tridentz non rgb 2x8gb ram.
It's a bit expensive in my area the 5600x for like 50+€ euros and I dont mind running my games to 1080p.

My 2nd gpu choice would be the gtx 1660super and my motherboard is the mag b550 tomahawk with gskill tridentz non rgb 2x8gb ram.
It's a bit expensive in my area the 5600x for like 50+€ euros and I dont mind running my games to 1080p.
5600x might fall short on streaming(with CPU heavy games/OBS can be a pain sometimes), editing and rendering, specially if you intend to do multitasking. With current prices, I would get the 3700x and upgrade to a 5800x/5900x couple of years later.

Reactions: FrostGh
... With current prices, I would get the 3700x and upgrade to a 5800x/5900x couple of years later.
Hmmm....I have a 3700X myself and I've a hard time finding a 5800X upgrade to be worth it, not even at MSRP. The bottom line up-lift in performance is there but just not enough to justify that cost, not from a 3700X. From a 2700X maybe...certainly from a 1700 which I also have. Maybe if all I ever did with it was rendering or something similar, but I'm just a casual video trans-coder and it's simply not worth it for gaming. I can't even justify a 5600X upgrade since more processor won't help with most trip-A games since I play them at 1440p and performance in trans-coding will most likely come out a wash.

A 5900X upgrade would be much better, assuming a use case deserves it's 12 cores which isn't all that straightforward for a casual user to determine fairly. But I really wonder if it will be any more widely available even in 2 years at MSRP. If cost isn't a big consideration, though, then just getting 'the best' (or as close as possible) is good enough reason I suppose! That's why I see so many posts on /r/pcmasterrace of brand new builds base on RTX3090's and 5950X's...they got their parts, cost be d**ned.

Last edited:
Solution
Hmmm....I have a 3700X myself and I've a hard time finding a 5800X upgrade to be worth it, not even at MSRP. The bottom line up-lift in performance is there but just not enough to justify that cost, not from a 3700X. From a 2700X maybe...certainly from a 1700 which I also have.

A 5900X upgrade would be much better, assuming a use case deserves it's 12 cores which isn't all that straightforward for a casual user to determine fairly. But I really wonder if it will be any more widely available even in 2 years at MSRP. If cost isn't a big consideration, though, then just getting 'the best' (or as close as possible) is good enough reason I suppose! That's why I see so many posts on /r/pcmasterrace of brand new builds base on RTX3090's and 5950X's...they got their parts, cost be d**ned.
Cost is a consideration here, doesn't justify the performance difference.