Question Is the Ryzen 7 5700X3D Compatible with the ASRock AB350M Motherboard?

Aug 29, 2024
Hello,

I have an ASRock AB350M motherboard (not the AB350M Pro-4 or HDV) and am looking to upgrade my CPU to a 5700X3D.

I'm unsure whether they are compatible as the CPU appears in the CPU support list for the motherboard (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/), however the motherboard
only supports CPUs up to 95W (according to the same webpage).

The 5700X3D has a tdp of 105W so exceeds the capacity for the motherboard.

Would they be compatible?

Thanks in advance!!

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I have an ASRock AB350M motherboard (not the AB350M Pro-4 or HDV) and am looking to upgrade my CPU to a 5700X3D.

I'm unsure whether they are compatible as the CPU appears in the CPU support list for the motherboard (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/), however the motherboard
only supports CPUs up to 95W (according to the same webpage).

The 5700X3D has a tdp of 105W so exceeds the capacity for the motherboard.

Would they be compatible?

Thanks in advance!!
It might work, but be limited by the power delivery of the motherboard. I would not use an AB350 motherboard.

It will require a BIOS update but it will work just fine.

As a matter of fact, it specifically lists the Ryzen 7 5700X3D in its CPU support list.

ASRock AB350M CPU Support List <-click here

The R7-5700X3D is third from the bottom of the list. The TDP isn't listed but I know for a fact that the TDP of the R7-5700X3D is 105W and there are literally twelve other AM4 CPUs with a TDP of 105W that are supported by this motherboard (including the 16-core R9-5950X). The board itself has the full 8-pin CPU supplementary power connector which means that it would be quite suitable for overclocking (which makes sense because it's a B-series board and only A-series boards don't support overclocking).

One thing to keep in mind however is that X3D CPUs don't overclock so they're not power-sucking monsters. In fact, the reason that they're so limited is because excessive heat can easily damage the 3D V-cache (and there have been instances where this actually happened).

The Ryzen 7 5700X3D doesn't actually draw that much power when you compare it to other CPUs in its performance class:
gevdu4Hd6AQEPocUAwxBpN-970-80.png.webp

"The Ryzen 7 5700X3D consumes a peak of 117W, an impressive 100W less than the Core i5-14600K that it actually beats in gaming workloads (but trails in productivity applications). Notably, this is much lower than the theoretical PPT (peak) of 141W for AMD's 105W TDP rating."

I mentioned the R9-5950X earlier and while it also has a TDP of 105W, it's power peak is far higher at 141W:
v5PaRYfgCd43tpKVrSZKNQ-970-80.png.webp

As long as you apply the proper BIOS update (the latest one), I cannot foresee any problems with this motherboard using an R7-5700X3D. The one thing that might hold you back in gaming is the fact that 300-series motherboards only support PCIe3. Having said that, if you have a PCIe4 video card that has an x8 or x16 connection, you shouldn't have any issues. To put it simply, if your video card isn't a Radeon RX 6400 or RX 6500 XT, you'll be just fine.

Once, just for fun, I tried my R7-5800X3D on a Biostar A320MH motherboard to see if there was a performance loss in gaming compared to my ASRock X570 Pro4. I dropped the resolution to 720p to ensure that my RX 6800 XT wasn't bottlenecking anything. I had no lack of faith in its power, but I wasn't sure what effect PCIe3 might have on it. I can attest to the fact that CPU-wise, the performance wasn't hampered in the slightest by that A320 board, a board that is considerably lower-end than your ASRock AB350M. In fact, the A320MH only had a single 4-pin CPU supplementary power connector but it didn't matter because X3D CPUs are clock-limited and won't draw more than a 4-pin can provide, especially not in gaming.

You'll be more than fine with that board, I guarantee it. ;)(y)