Question Is the Wattage of Pre-Overclocked RTX 3050 6GB Same as Non Pre-OCed One !?

ismmostaar1

Honorable
May 28, 2018
I'm getting mixed information about this card, some versions are labeled as OC (Pre-Overclocked) while others are not labeled with OC, for example "MSI 3050 VENTUS 2X 6G OC" vs. "ZOTAC 3050 6GB GDDR6 Solo"
in their websites it is mentioned that they both consume 70W, does that means that the ZOTAC one is also OCed? or maybe the MSI would still consume more power? in this case how much more exactly, Thanks.

ismmostaar1

Honorable
May 28, 2018
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/zotac-rtx-3050-solo-6-gb.b11703
show both to have a 70W TDP. The only difference would be their boost clock speeds.
Nice note sir, so the boost clock for the ZOTAC is 1470 MHz, while for the MSI it's 1492 MHz (+1%)
but how is it possible for that +1 percent performance not to draw more power!
these cards can be a good choice for PCs with little PSU juice since they require no power cable, so if a PC has a PSU of let's say 350W, that +1% would make a difference, and i know you can just get a LP one and rest your mind from all this, but in some areas of the world the MSI might be the only one available / the cheaper one, so i'm guessing it's either the ZOTAC uses less than 70W or the MSI uses just a little bit more, but if so how much exactly more is it 5W? is it 10W? I just would like to have the correct information before recommending it to someone.

You cant just look at the numbers. All your doing is paying the company extra money to guarantee that the card will work properly at the higher speeds.

Basically ZOTAC is guaranteeing their card will run up to the stated boost speed of 1470MHz, if the card works fine at the stated speed but you try to overclock it to the MSI speed an fail ZOTAC probably wouldn't do anything under warranty as the card works perfectly fine at its stated speed.

With that said almost every RTX card will boost past its stated boost speed, if there is enough power, temp, and voltage it will keep boosting till it cant meet one of them.

My last card was a EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
base clock 1350MHz
Boost clock 1755 MHz
on its own it would boost to 1940Mhz and if i pushed it to 2200Mhz

Reactions: ismmostaar1

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
does that means that the ZOTAC one is also OCed?
The gpus OC themselves with no input from you, as stated by faalin.

or maybe the MSI would still consume more power? in this case how much more exactly, Thanks.
You need the bios info to find out.

ismmostaar1

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Thanks everyone, I'm guessing that ZOTAC pushes itself beyond 70W when it overclocks itself, that's why it is recommended in it's official website page (HERE) that it needs PSU of 450W, while the MSI website (HERE) recommends only 300W, which means MSI guarantees same performance when using PSUs of low wattage with stability, but my guessing could be wrong because "techpowerup.com" has both GPUs listed as 250W HERE & HERE, which makes it's even tougher to determine the exact minimum TDP for these cards that will assure the best performance of an RTX 3050-6GB, i tend to lean more towards my first guess, MSI version is more stable and at lower power it gives same performance as ZOTAC!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks everyone, I'm guessing that ZOTAC pushes itself beyond 70W when it overclocks itself, that's why it is recommended in it's official website page (HERE) that it needs PSU of 450W, while the MSI website (HERE) recommends only 300W, which means MSI guarantees same performance when using PSUs of low wattage with stability, but my guessing could be wrong because "techpowerup.com" has both GPUs listed as 250W HERE & HERE, which makes it's even tougher to determine the exact minimum TDP for these cards that will assure the best performance of an RTX 3050-6GB
I know Msi and Zotac are making exaggerated guesses to cover their own butts.
Not sure where TPU got their 250w psu from - even Nvidia has 550 and 300w, but at least they say in small print that the recommendation is based on a configuration with a 10900K.

MSI is more stable and gives same performance at lower power!
Differences in silicon quality, even if between multiples of the same model, throws a wrench in that one.

The Zotac Solo is a single slot + single fan cooler just like the Palit StormX OC, it too, most likely has a max 130w board power limit.
Ventus, being Msi's lowest product tier, can't have more than the 140w on the Gaming X, if not lower, at 130w.

ismmostaar1

Honorable
May 28, 2018
I know Msi and Zotac are making exaggerated guesses to cover their own butts.
Not sure where TPU got their 250w psu from - even Nvidia has 550 and 300w, but at least they say in small print that the recommendation is based on a configuration with a 10900K.

Differences in silicon quality, even if between multiples of the same model, throws a wrench in that one.

The Zotac Solo is a single slot + single fan cooler just like the Palit StormX OC, it too, most likely has a max 130w board power limit.
Ventus, being Msi's lowest product tier, can't have more than the 140w on the Gaming X, if not lower, at 130w.
That was very informative mr. Phaaze, now can you assure to me please once and for all that either of these cards will work just fine and at its maximum stock performance inside a computer with PSU of 300-400W ?
also as a non English native, thanks for teaching me a new expression: "Throw a Wrench" :)

TRENDING THREADS