[SOLVED] Is the XFX Radeon Rx 5700 8GB compatible with my motherboard

Dec 1, 2019
im thinking of upgrading from a nvidia geforce 1050 to a XFX Radeon Rx 5700 8GB i have a sunflower motherboard at least that is what hp calls it and is the XFX Radeon Rx 5700 8gb worth it? for $325 USD

Solution
if it already has a 1050 in there then yes it will work. but there are two other issues that I could think of that are more prominent.
a.) hp pre builts are oftentimes in slim cases. so slim a 5700 physically wouldn't fit
b.) the 5700 is very power-hungry. the recommended PSU is 600w. and if I'm being honest I doubt a hp build has that

finally yes the RX 5700 is one of the best prices to performance cards out there. it is 100% worth it

EDIT: another thing, if this is a hp build and it only has a 1050. chances are its cpu isn't the greatest in the world either. and by this assumption, it might not be worth even getting such an expensive card as it may just be bottlenecked

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
if it already has a 1050 in there then yes it will work. but there are two other issues that I could think of that are more prominent.
a.) hp pre builts are oftentimes in slim cases. so slim a 5700 physically wouldn't fit
b.) the 5700 is very power-hungry. the recommended PSU is 600w. and if I'm being honest I doubt a hp build has that

finally yes the RX 5700 is one of the best prices to performance cards out there. it is 100% worth it

EDIT: another thing, if this is a hp build and it only has a 1050. chances are its cpu isn't the greatest in the world either. and by this assumption, it might not be worth even getting such an expensive card as it may just be bottlenecked

Last edited:
Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it should. I am assuming the PCIe slot provides full power. 1050 says it does.
however the Power supply in your unit may not have the proper cables.
verify your power supply has the wattage and the proper cables.
AND room in the case as mentioned by adamgrant520.

Dec 1, 2019
i found that its nearly impossible to find a compatible psu because its just... different and its in a mini atx i believe so it would cost more than its worth to upgrade itd be a whole new pc by the end of it i decided to sell it as a whole or for the good parts (so not much)

Dec 1, 2019
yeah the power supply caused it to be more of a pain than anything ive decided on a new build and selling this for as much as i can (not much however) like i told adamn thank you both for the input