[SOLVED] Is their good CPU upgrade for Intel 8700 (Laptop) that justifies a new purchase?

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
I own a custom-assembled Clevo N957TP6 laptop which I purchased around 5 years ago. It's working good and I have upgraded its part in the past (like RAM, SSD).

The laptop comes with an Intel i7 8700. I am wondering are their more powerful CPUs currently available for laptops that can justify buying a new laptop? I would prefer at least 100-200% CPU performance improvement if buying a new laptop.

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. These laptops while powerful seem way too expensive.

For reference, my previous laptop with Intel 8700 costed around 1750 USD.

These laptops seem to be in the $4000 range.

Thanks for the suggestions. These laptops while powerful seem way too expensive.

For reference, my previous laptop with Intel 8700 costed around 1750 USD.

These laptops seem to be in the $4000 range.

Do you have a budget?

The i7-8700 processor has 12 processing threads and a passmark rating of 13078 when all threads are fully busy. The single thread performance rating is 2674.

Laptops of today will not be using desktop mounting.
They will be using mobile versions of processors that are soldered in.

Currently available Lenovo laptops have the the I9-11950H processor with 16 threads and a rating of 22680. About 2x what your 8700 has. Such a laptop from Lenovo will be about $2K.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i9-11950H+@+2.60GHz&id=4400
The single thread rating of 3329 is what you are likely to feel most.
Lenovo can customize laptops so it is worthwhile to research there.
I would expect 12th gen processors to be available soon.

The Clevo optionally had a discrete graphics chip.
If you need fast action for gaming, that would add to the cost.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Any pc, whether desktop or laptop, if it has anything decent for a discrete gpu, is going to be Big $$$. There's no way around that currently. So basing price and comparing prices to prior purchases doesn't work, unfortunately. I bought my gpu 2 years ago for $400, and currently used market has it in the $700-800 range. For a laptop with a 3080 you could easily add $1500 over base. Sad reality currently, bad time to buy a 12900H and 3080/ti, expect @ $5k price tags.

I configured that XMG, came out to €3921 for quite decent, which is $4431 currently.

Was your config in € or $ for 2300? XmG is based in Germany.

Last edited:
I own a custom-assembled Clevo N957TP6 laptop which I purchased around 5 years ago. It's working good and I have upgraded its part in the past (like RAM, SSD).

The laptop comes with an Intel i7 8700. I am wondering are their more powerful CPUs currently available for laptops that can justify buying a new laptop? I would prefer at least 100-200% CPU performance improvement if buying a new laptop.
Yes you can get that sort of improvement, what do you use your laptop for?

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Any pc, whether desktop or laptop, if it has anything decent for a discrete gpu, is going to be Big $$$. There's no way around that currently. So basing price and comparing prices to prior purchases doesn't work, unfortunately. I bought my gpu 2 years ago for $400, and currently used market has it in the $700-800 range. For a laptop with a 3080 you could easily add $1500 over base. Sad reality currently, bad time to buy a 12900H and 3080/ti, expect @ $5k price tags.

I configured that XMG, came out to €3921 for quite decent, which is $4431 currently.

Was your config in € or $ for 2300? XmG is based in Germany.

The website says it's 2000 EUR = 2300 USD

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Software development. Hmm that's a tough gig. And a broad statement. It's one thing to have fast computations etc, but does that also include a lot of compiling, encoding, compression or decompression of large files/folders etc?

Fo so, anything Intel other than a 12700+ class is seriously second rate compared to Amd. You can get laptops like the Legion 5 with a Ryzen 5800H for @ $1500. A 12700H is slightly better/faster, but for the same equipped laptop, costs more.

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Software development. Hmm that's a tough gig. And a broad statement. It's one thing to have fast computations etc, but does that also include a lot of compiling, encoding, compression or decompression of large files/folders etc?

Fo so, anything Intel other than a 12700+ class is seriously second rate compared to Amd. You can get laptops like the Legion 5 with a Ryzen 5800H for @ $1500. A 12700H is slightly better/faster, but for the same equipped laptop, costs more.

According to passmark 12700H has 50% higher score than 5800H. Are you sure it's only slightly better?

It's one thing to have fast computations etc, but does that also include a lot of compiling, encoding, compression or decompression of large files/folders etc?

Yes. Pretty much. I have diverse need

One other thing. I am kind of scared of using AMD processors because I don't know how compatible they are with different applications like compilers, hypervisors, different OS like Linux/Windows. I don't want to run into strange problems after buying AMD. Do they have such problems?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
According to passmark 12700H has 50% higher score than 5800H. Are you sure it's only slightly better?
Matter of perspective. 50% to a benchmark is huge, but in an application that's not using 100% of the cpu it's a much smaller thing. You'd use 35% cpu instead of 30% cpu etc, but speeds are so fast you'd need a side by side comparison over extended periods to notice any real difference.

Benchmarks are a tool and should be used as such, you can take the results with a grain of salt. They are more useful as a comparison of potential. Yes, the 12700h is the superior cpu, it got better single thread and better multi thread, but can cost twice as much for very little real world gain over a 5800h.

If opening an app took the 12700h 1.0004 seconds, and the 5800h took 1.04 seconds, to a benchmark that's a massive difference, to me its the same 1 second.

Last edited:

Yes. Pretty much. I have diverse need

One other thing. I am kind of scared of using AMD processors because I don't know how compatible they are with different applications like compilers, hypervisors, different OS like Linux/Windows. I don't want to run into strange problems after buying AMD. Do they have such problems?
If it's a work machine and you currently work on Intel then for safety reasons you might want to stick with Intel. I think most things would be fine, if you run VM's within other VM's then I don't believe that works on AMD. Otherwise I would be surprised if you ran into a problem though.