[SOLVED] Is there a best (or better) storage option for saving game recording/streams?

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I'm working on streamlining and refining my current PC recording/streaming setup. Something that came about was whether or not there is a best (or preferred) storage to save recorded gameplay and streams? I'm referring to external HDD, internal SSD, etc. I'm assuming that a 4TB NVME will be the top tier - but totally uncessary/not cost effective option. The local shops have some crazy good deals on both external and internal SSD, but it's been a while since I've "deep dived" into this aspect of PC's.

Any input is appreciated, Thank you!

Solution
A decently performing hard drive is all you really need as the data bandwidth requirements for saving recordings isn't that large. Whatever the bitrate is of the video, that's the bandwidth required, and a little more, to save to the disk. And I'm not aware of anyone that records their streams at 100 megabytes per second.

The only reason to get something faster is if you constantly pull stuff off of it.
A decently performing hard drive is all you really need as the data bandwidth requirements for saving recordings isn't that large. Whatever the bitrate is of the video, that's the bandwidth required, and a little more, to save to the disk. And I'm not aware of anyone that records their streams at 100 megabytes per second.

The only reason to get something faster is if you constantly pull stuff off of it.

Solution

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Alright, cool. This was the conclusion I reached when I looked into things myself but I wasn't 100% sure I was interpreting the info correctly. Appreciate the clarification.
I'm still learning the ins and outs of the stream bitrate stuff, I was mainly concerned about potential bottlenecks in regards to saving clips directly to the drive, and pulling from said drive.