Question Is there a better way to Search and/or Temporarily Sort Chrome Bookmarks?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello All,

An example to begin with....

My Dad was just looking for a Youtube bookmark in Chrome; something to do with Guitar?
That's all he remembered for sure; thought he'd recognise it when he saw the title etc?

Problem is - it's not like in File Explorer.

If these were saved as individual files in File Explorer; I'd simply tell him to FIRST Search Youtube or Guitar; then temporarily sort by the filter - to show everything by the most recently modified/added files.
That would narrow it down a great deal as he has hundreds of guitar related youtube bookmarks.

Even if we couldn't do that and could only temporarily sort the complete list of bookmarks to see the most recently modified/added bookmarks that would help.

I can't find anyway to temporarily do this in the default Bookmark Manager in Chrome... I really don't want to permanently sort/mess with the Bookmarks as we have hundreds of folders and even more individual bookmarks.

Is there some kind of Extension or some other way to do this easily?

Thank you.

some other way to do this easily?
you can get to the Chrome bookmarks file stored on your system in:

Users/username/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/UserData

there you will find Default, Profile1, Profile2, etc. folders.
one of which contains your specific Bookmarks file.

opening and editing with Notepad++ or something similar may let you search for more specific page titles.
may want to backup the Bookmarks file first though to avoid any possible corruption.

good luck

Reactions: Ragnarok17
that's not quite what I'm looking for
this file will have every one of your bookmarks included.
offering more search options than in the browser can make it easy to narrow down this specific page you're after.

depending on how the file's data has been organized you may also be able to sort the list however you please.
once you've found it it you would have the address to access the page directly.