Is there a budget laptop that is superior mechanically, ie Hinges?

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
I'm looking for a lower performance laptop that doesn't have fragile hinges etc. I'll just use it for web browsing and playing freecell. (I have a desktop for everything else.) My old Surface Pro 4 was fine for this but it stopped turning on and is almost impossible to take apart without breaking the LCD. So, I would like to get a somewhat serviceable laptop but it seems the hinges fail eventually on most of them. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
What's your budget and which country/region are you buying from?

If you want something very serviceable, the only option you have there is something from Framework, but they're not what you'd call "budget"

I rather buy something more common because of resale value. My best prospect so far is an HP Envy or an HP Sceptre. The Sceptre has a metal shell which should be sturdy. A problem with lots of laptops is they have metal hinges that are screwed into plastic shells. While researching this I found some extremely rugged notebooks but they are way overkill for me. For example, Panasonic and Dell make expensive ruggedized laptops.

dugt

Prominent
May 18, 2021
The HP Elitebook has sturdy hinges and they are easy to repair but I couldn't find a used one with a touchscreen for a good price. I ended up getting an HP Envy x360 2 in 1. They are not too difficult to repair and HP has a video on how to replace the hinges. Since I know hinges are weak. I will be gentle with it. By the way, laptop hinges themselves are strong but they often rip away from their plastic case.

Last edited: