Question Is there a fix for monitor "black blink"?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I have an Acer Predator model XB271HU. It is a Gsync 1440P 144Hz that can be overclocked to 165Hz. I have been using it for about 2 years now with an average of 40 hours per week of gaming. Within the past few weeks I have noticed two things. When restarting the computer it goes to the Asus screen where you can hit F2/delete to go into bios and then it goes to the next screen with the white spinning circle. Between here and the password screen I am getting white horizontal lines all over the screen. This is the only time this happens.

The second issue is the screen going black for just a second and then it comes right back. I have read about quite a few people complaining of this and referring to it as black blink. It happens during gaming and surfing the internet and random times but not very frequent at all. Maybe once a day.

I have replaced my display port cable. I found the old one was slightly bent at the connector on the monitor end. It was too short and I pulled it to tight to get to my computer. I have no idea how long it was like that or if it caused any damage to the display port connection.

Gaming at 1440P at 165Hz on ultra settings is crystal clear. No sign of white lines, just the occasional black blink.

I have updated my Nvidia driver and that didn't help.

Most articles about this are blaming Gsync and say that turning off Gsync solves the problem. I have had Gsync enabled for the last 2 years so that seems unlikely. I also read that the monitor has to adjust to the 165Hz when you first power it up but again this has not been an issue until very recently and only would explain the white lines not the black blink.

Does anyone else here have either of these issues and have you found a solution? I am wondering if perhaps my monitor has been used for so many hours that it is getting ready to die.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
This is generally a cable issue. Are you using a certified DisplayPort cable, or an off-brand one?

Does it still happen if you set the monitor to 144 Hz?

I am not sure of the quality of the cable that came with the monitor. The one I bought is from Ivanky. I did notice it is not VESA certified but it has excellent ratings on Amazon and a lifetime guarantee so I assume it is good quality.

I am not changing the Hz or turning off Gsync (which is being blamed on most forums) because that won't be an acceptable solution. It has been working at 165Hz for the last 2 years so I am looking at the issue being something other than a constant for the past 2 years.

I am leaning towards the display port being damaged since the cable end was bent due to my computer being just a bit too far away for the cable to have any slack in it.

I have seen lots of people with this problem and am surprised no one has been able to pinpoint the exact problem. It has apparently been an issue for years.

I am not changing the Hz or turning off Gsync (which is being blamed on most forums) because that won't be an acceptable solution. It has been working at 165Hz for the last 2 years so I am looking at the issue being something other than a constant for the past 2 years.
I am just asking as a method of determining the cause of the issue, not as a solution to the problem. DisplayPort uses the same signaling rate regardless of video format as long as it passes certain thresholds, so 144 Hz will put the same amount of "strain" on the cable as 165 Hz. This being the case, if it is a cable issue, we would expect the same issue to happen at 120 Hz or 144 Hz. If it does not, then it is probably not a cable issue. The signal integrity depends on the physical condition of the cable, so that is something that can change over time.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I have continued to read up on this issue and now I am thinking it is the Nvidia driver. I updated to the latest driver and now every time I sit down in my chair the screen blinks. It happens every time without exception. I googled this and came across a very small amount of people with the exact same issue. The cause is ESD. This blows my mind since my chair is over 3 feet from my monitor. I have another old Dell pc with a 22" Acer monitor and now that one has started doing the same thing since the Nvidia driver update. Two different computers, two different monitors, two different rooms.