Is there a good update for Maximus VI Hero motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I currently am using Maximus VI Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard in my system. But want to plan for a future upgrade and need to start saving for it now.

This board still performs extremely well even after the plug to the router died and I had a separate one installed. All other ports I use seem to be working well still.

With the life cycle of only a few years to any electronic device, I want to make the most out of my setup.

My current setup:
Maximus VI Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard
Core i7 4770 3.4GHz
16GB RAM - MEM 8Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL
840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 250GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
nVidia GTX GeForce 770 graphics card
TX850 power supply

Hopefully, I shall be able to reuse some of my current hardware with the motherboard update, but we shall see.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Thank you...I had a good technician help me decide on the hardware based upon my use. I also have updated to Windows 10 and still see no appreciable drawbacks.

My concern is due to the one port getting hit during a lighting strike and having to have an alternative one installed so I could connect wired to my router. My tech said he could not see any noticeable issues...yet.

But with his help I was able to purchase and get this built in my old case for around $1000, which included his service fee which was really reasonable (I already had keyboard and mouse). He tends to give me discounts in exchange for my old hardware which he in turn uses in his test lab. So its a win-win situation with this shop.

What is the main use for your pc?

For gaming, you can upgrade your graphics card to very high levels with your current cpu and psu.

There is no value in upgrading your motherboard, it is as good as any other lga1150 motherboard.
A i7-4790K would be a good cpu upgrade.

Longer term, there is not a major upgrade available for cpu until kaby lake appears, or the haswell-e processors if multithreaded apps are your main focus.

Today, you can upgrade to a GTX980ti for a nice graphics boost. Past that wait for pascal or the amd response.

IN summary, do nothing until your pc needs are no longer satisfied. Then buy what you need.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

This is what I was thinking too after much research and reviewing. I currently play GW2 and occasionally Rift, but do plan on some game beta testing soon. Basically, what I currently have seems to be sufficient for my use.

The graphics card was my other thought...but because of the damage to the motherboard's outlet for my router wire plug, I was thinking maybe the motherboard should be my first concern. But as I've noticed no problems otherwise with my setup, I'll take a wait-n-see position.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Its been a while since I posted my question on this motherboard, etc. But its now 2020 and I have changed a few things on my build. However, am still concerned over the motherboard's life at this juncture.

Here is my current build (which still shows some of my older pieces). Would appreciate an updated review as I am now Raiding in Wow twice a week. I notice some lag but have put it down to the game servers as I am not the only one experiencing that lag during raid.

Current setup:
Maximus VI Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard
Core i7 4770 3.4GHz
16GB RAM - MEM 8Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Internal SATA III Solid State Drive
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super GAMING OC 3X 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD Video Car
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92 80 Plus Bronze Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
--------------------------
New Monitor Sept 2019: Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 31.5" WQHD 144Hz HDMI DP FreeSync Curved Gaming LED Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS