[SOLVED] Is there a LGA1150 or LGA1151 motherboard (DDR3 preferably) with a RGB header?

NateDog12378

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
I haven't had any luck with finding one and would really rather stick with my current RAM since I won't have much to spend anyways.

Solution
No LGA 1150 ones that I'm aware of. Motherboards with RGB headers didn't start to become a thing until 2015 or so. If you're going to LGA 1151, you need to change your RAM; used Skylake era motherboards are just about the worst value to upgrade to, and it's not advised unless you happen to already have 1.35V DDR3 RAM, which most people did not. If you're just going to upgrade from an LGA 1150 to a first-generation LGA 1151 motherboard and not switch the RAM, it would probably make more sense to simply get the best CPU you can get on your current platform. And if you already have the best CPUs, going from a 3770k or a 4770/4790K to a 6700K just to save money on RAM and use RGB doesn't make a lick of sense.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
No LGA 1150 ones that I'm aware of. Motherboards with RGB headers didn't start to become a thing until 2015 or so. If you're going to LGA 1151, you need to change your RAM; used Skylake era motherboards are just about the worst value to upgrade to, and it's not advised unless you happen to already have 1.35V DDR3 RAM, which most people did not. If you're just going to upgrade from an LGA 1150 to a first-generation LGA 1151 motherboard and not switch the RAM, it would probably make more sense to simply get the best CPU you can get on your current platform. And if you already have the best CPUs, going from a 3770k or a 4770/4790K to a 6700K just to save money on RAM and use RGB doesn't make a lick of sense.

Reactions: Remeca
Solution

NateDog12378

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Well I guess my main problem other than the lack of a RGB header is that I don't have the minimum hardware for windows 11 (which should be 6th and 7th gen I believe) and I do have 16GB of 1.35v DDR3 RAM and I had just finished paying for this right before windows 11 minimum requirements were announced

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
An unreleased OS and four years until your current OS is end of life basically means it's a non-issue not worth worrying about right now.

I still see no reason to upgrade given what you've said. And very confusing. This is a lot of money to spend on a minor performance upgrade to slightly less old equipment with an RGB header just to keep using some very old RAM.