Is there a mouse that immune to single-click-become-double-click issue

shaltzer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Is there a mouse that immune to "single click become double click" issue?

I'm fed up with my mouses keep getting same problem. I have two standard logitech mouses, after 3 months, they got this problem. Even my i-rocks Game Laser mouse suffered same problem after I bought it two months ago. I thought gaming mouse is more durable than normal mouse. I'm a gamer, so it's normal for me to click a lot.

I learned that the source of problem is the curved spring inside the microswitch has bent down too much. Of course, we can fix it manually by diassembling the mouse and bend up the curved spring, but this is too much hassle.

I wonder if there is a mouse that has different built-in microswitch mechanism that immune to this problem?

Solution
I don't like Steelseries sensors (they have acceleration and in most cases prediction that you can't fully disable even with the custom mouse profiles). If you don't want side buttons, the Zowie Mico is a nice rts mouse supposedly. I've never used an A4Tech mouse so I can't have an honest opinion about them. Same for PowerLogic.
sounds like you bought a cheap mouse and are paying the price. also its likely you have double click set to high in the mouse options if its happening with every mouse you use.
also it sounds like your hammering the mouse clicker. they aint particualrly robust so maybe just lighten your touch. they will work better and longer if you treat them with a little care.
i swap my mice 1s every 2-3 years. not because there broken but because i want something new but i always pay over $20 or i guarentee the build quality will let me down sooner rather than later...
gaming mice carry a $20 premium so if your only paying $10 for it then it cant really be up to much... 30-50 is the sweet spot for gaming mice. yes you can pay more but your not paying for accuracy when you buy them mice your paying for bells and whistles... thats not necessarily saying bells and whistles are a bad thing, there just not entirely needed.
you buy cheap you get cheap...

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well, there are different switches (Omron vs Huano for instance) but the only mouse brand where I've seen the double-click malfunction become an issue repeatedly across several models is with Razer. It's the number one defect that I see reported for those mice.

I'm not sure if there are any that are "immune" to the issue, but I don't see people reporting the issue with Zowie mice at all (all of which use Huano switches now although I know the EC1 and EC2 older models used Omron switches and still never saw any ghost double click complaints), and I've seen very few reports of this issue with Logitech mice (I think the G700 was the only one where I've seen this mentioned).

shaltzer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Well, i-rocks is taiwanese company. My i-rocks gaming mouse model is "IR-7810L Gaming 400 / 800 / 1600 dpi Laser Mouse". In my country, it costs about $13-15, so this gaming mouse is still counted as standard mouse?

sounds like you bought a cheap mouse and are paying the price. also its likely you have double click set to high in the mouse options if its happening with every mouse you use.
Did you mean the "Double-click speed" setting in Admin Panel -> Mouse (in winxp)? I set the speed slider to 9 (scale from 0-10, 0=slowest, 10=fastest). What I understand, if I set it more faster, the chance of accidentally single-clicking-become-double-clicking a file is become lesser. So are you saying that I shouldn't set the double-click speed too high/fast or else it will cause the problem?

Well, there are different switches (Omron vs Huano for instance) but the only mouse brand where I've seen the double-click malfunction become an issue repeatedly across several models is with Razer. It's the number one defect that I see reported for those mice.

I'm not sure if there are any that are "immune" to the issue, but I don't see people reporting the issue with Zowie mice at all (all of which use Huano switches now although I know the EC1 and EC2 older models used Omron switches and still never saw any ghost double click complaints), and I've seen very few reports of this issue with Logitech mice (I think the G700 was the only one where I've seen this mentioned)
Logitech also have this issue:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and-Pointing-Devices/Mouse-Double-Clicks-when-I-only-Single-Click/td-p/243999
My two logitech mouses has become a victim too, although they are normal mouse.

I tried to repair the clicker's spring, but some model like i-rocks is really pain-in-the-ass to reinstall back the spring. I ended up tearing the spring, fortunately I can still glued it back. But eventually the problem is not gone at all and it become worse.

I had more success in repairing my logitech mouse, however the problem is not gone at all although the symptom has become lesser (let's say, originally it has 90% chance to happen, now it's only 10% chance).

FYI, the game I most played is Dota. Ironically, my i-rocks mouse box features a recomendation sticker from WC3 world champion.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Nothing ironic about irrelevant advertising. It's possible that you're just wearing out your mice with heavy click-game play. You could try a Zowie, since the EC1 eVo/EC2 eVo/Zowie AM all have good, accurate sensors, but there is no guarantee that you will like their shape or the firmness of the button press on the Zowie AM which is a combination of shell-shape and switch type.

yes if you have it set to high a single click can often register as a double. but the other draw back is if its set to high you will tend to bash the button to get the second click in fast enough... just set it to half way and then you can hit double click at your pleasure which is about 2/10ths of a second for most people. it could be the build quality of the mouse itself but as cas points out there are very few differences in what micros witch is used, being only 2 brands consistently used. it may be that your mice use 1 brand that is prone to breaking . i know the 1 in my razer mouse broke with no physical signs of damage. my guess is your settings were to high so to press quick enough you have been over pressuring the switch which is a sure way to kill it, especially if it has a tendency to be poorly made.

shaltzer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

How about Zowie Mico or other brands like SteelSeries Kinzu, A4Tech, PowerLogic?

@HEXiT:
Thx for your info, I think it makes sense. I will adjust it to medium speed.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't like Steelseries sensors (they have acceleration and in most cases prediction that you can't fully disable even with the custom mouse profiles). If you don't want side buttons, the Zowie Mico is a nice rts mouse supposedly. I've never used an A4Tech mouse so I can't have an honest opinion about them. Same for PowerLogic.

Solution

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
It's the same thing by default through windows with most mice. The MiCo doesn't have side buttons at all though. It's a 2 button mouse that is popular with rts/moba players but not as much with people who play games that make good use of side buttons (like FPS or MMO games).

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well, in FPS games people use them for different things. I usually have jump and another function on my side buttons. In a game like Dota, I don't see the appeal personally. Anything where you click to move I would rather only use the two main mouse buttons, and keep everything else on the keyboard. That's just personal taste.

shaltzer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Is Zowie a new player? I googled "best gaming mouse" and I didn't found any zowie name in top ten list I read. But steelseries has it in some. ('man, that Cyborg R.A.T. body is really awesome).

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Zowie's just a smaller company with fewer models. I like them. Some people prefer other brands. It's mostly just about shape and internal hardware. I like the stiffer click and I like the sensor in the Zowie AM. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on my good experience. Mouse is too personal for anyone's "greatest mouse" story to be important. I can only vouch that they're sturdy. If they're sturdy enough to withstand your furious clicking? I cannot say that for sure.

shaltzer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi,

I just want to let you know that I had bought Zowie Mico. I had used it for 6 months and it's still working fine. The button is indeed sturdy.

--UPDATE--
It's been 3 years, I want to say the mouse buttons still functions very well but that because I seldom use it as I lost interest in playing game after the first 6 months and most of the time the mouse ended up in my box, so I can't tell if it's really durable or not. However the cursor sometimes freeze for few seconds, maybe the cable or usb connector is a bit failing.

There are some cons in the Mico:
1. When I clicked the middle button, it often registered to scroll, so it seems the middle button is very sensitive.

2. The scrolling feels too soft or smooth, it feels lack of resistance like in normal mouse.

3. And the worst part is the sharp edge at the upper & bottom area of the hole where the wheel scrolling out and in. So when I scrolled the wheel button, my finger tip would often touch the sharp edge. I think this is the big design flaw of the mouse. The problem can be alleviated a bit by covering the edge with transparent tape, but it will ruins the aesthetic look and still doesn't feel comfortable as other normal mouse.

Javier Reinoso

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Spray WD40 is magic for many problems, inclusive volume wheel in headphones with rac rac rac noises, also for repair this problem of mouse clicks…

Test, is a very fast, not need open the mouse or open the headphones, spray and go well another time…

pchelpdesk

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I have a logitech mx510 optical mouse and have been using it heavily for gaming since probably around 2006 with no single click becoming double click issues. I had even bought a new computer since then and the mouse that came with the new computer had the double click issue so I went back to the mx510.

tetracore

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I'm not sure of it's ok to bump such an old thread. But I just want to say I got the double click issue now with my Zowie EC2 evo using the Huano switches.

It's not as horrible as it was with my intellimouse, as I can still use my mouse, but I guess it won't get any better in the following weeks. My mouse is maybe 1.5 or 2 years old.

cjdxn

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Just got the double-clicking issue from a Zowie EC1 after approx 4 months of use and now have to RMA. For a £50 mouse that is just unacceptable. Out of interest, are any mice these days NOT "Made in China"?

Rana Akram

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
C++:
■ [color=#cfaabd][/color]
rana muaddsaer
http://[strike][strike][/strike][/strike]

Jul 27, 2014
I used a razer krait 2013 for 4 months and it started to do double clicks, bought a new one and in just one month it is doing the same thing, is a pain in the butt, I had a gigabyte mouse and the same thing happen, I used a Logitech and Gigabyte mice, both had the issue and both used the Omron switches, so I guess the problem here is Omron.