Question Is there a path from Iris XE integrated to NVIDIA?

Aug 8, 2024
I bought an HP "All in one" PC with an Iris XE integrated graphics card about a year ago. I have decided I would like to do some "light gaming" with games that require a minimum of NVIDIA graphics card.

If I bought a NVIDIA card, could the XE card be deactivated and the NVIDIA card used in its place? If so, how much does a PC technician usually charge?

If not, is there anything else I can do?

I bought an HP "All in one" PC with an Iris XE integrated graphics card about a year ago. I have decided I would like to do some "light gaming" with games that require a minimum of NVIDIA graphics card.

If I bought a NVIDIA card, could the XE card be deactivated and the NVIDIA card used in its place? If so, how much does a PC technician usually charge?

If not, is there anything else I can do?
You can ad another GPU only if there's a PCIe port on the MB.All-in-One are essentially same as laptop so it may not exist but yeah, if it does and you install new card, you should be able to choose which to use.

Aug 8, 2024
You can ad another GPU only if there's a PCIe port on the MB.All-in-One are essentially same as laptop so it may not exist but yeah, if it does and you install new card, you should be able to choose which to use.
I don't know how to figure out if I have another PCI port or not.

Aug 8, 2024
exact model of this aio pc?

exact model of this aio pc?
HP Device name MattPC
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1255U 1.70 GHz, 10 core
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

did research on motherboard 89E8 specs and got

Expansion slots​

• (1) PCI Express 4.0 x16 lanes
  • (1) M.2 socket 1, key A, type 2230 for WLAN
  • (2) M.2 socket 3, key M, type 2280 (one for SSD card PCIe Gen 3.0 x4)
Is there any other info you need to help?

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Is there an HP application installed that will tell you the product number, like HP System Information? Also if you find the serial number you might be able to get a PDF of the manual from HP's support website. Where did you find the Expansion Slots specs?

The interesting thing is the PCIe 4.0 x16 expansion slot. That is what might have a chance at working. But it has to exist, it has to have physical room for a graphics card, and there has to be enough power. Some similar HP all-in-ones I looked up have a 90W power supply and some 65W. Either way it's a very small amount of power for a graphics card to share. Nothing I've seen has hinted at expansion slots.

Aug 8, 2024
Is there an HP application installed that will tell you the product number, like HP System Information? Also if you find the serial number you might be able to get a PDF of the manual from HP's support website. Where did you find the Expansion Slots specs?

The interesting thing is the PCIe 4.0 x16 expansion slot. That is what might have a chance at working. But it has to exist, it has to have physical room for a graphics card, and there has to be enough power. Some similar HP all-in-ones I looked up have a 90W power supply and some 65W. Either way it's a very small amount of power for a graphics card to share. Nothing I've seen has hinted at expansion slots.
Product ID 09342-20967-99241-AAOEM

I got the following info from my "System Information" from Windows Tools:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MATTPC
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP All-in-One Desktop 24-cb1xxx
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 22U62AA#ABA
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1255U, 1700 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.30, 3/19/2024
SMBIOS Version 3.4
Embedded Controller Version 99.23
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 89E8
BaseBoard Version 0100

------------------

The expansion slot specs I got by looking up the motherboard 89E8/Expansion Slots on HP website. (https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c08204228)

I wouldn't know how to tell whether they are virtual slots or physical.

-----------------------------

Unfortunately, for me, it says 65W Smart AC Power Adapter in product description.

---------------------------------------

Finally, I read this on PCQuest.com website but I only understand a word here or there. LOL

In case your AIO comes with a fixed GPU, then you can buy an external one. This helps AIO PCs achieve better-quality graphics by connecting an external hardware dock. As the name suggests, it can easily be connected to your laptop or AIO using a Thunderbolt port. The eGPU comes with different configurations, so while buying one, you need to check the compatibility with your AIO.

The compatibility depends on the following key factors:

PSU max power: The eGPU would require a lot of power to accelerate the graphics. The power requirement can run anywhere from less than 100W up to 650W.

Compatibility: Ensure connection compatibility of your AIO with eGPU. The port eGPU should be compatible with your PC’s port for connection. It is important to make sure you will get the best graphics.

GPU compatibility: Some eGPU docks come included with graphics card while some with GPU, giving you the flexibility to choose depending upon your requirements.

Last edited: